Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why would Fender create a RI without the advancemnts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm sure there is a logical explanation, but why does Fender make reissues, like the '57, and not include the graphite reinforeced neck? Is there something cosmetic that couldn't be done? I understand they want to faithfully create a replica of the original, and that's admirable, but wouldn't people take the invisible improvements?

Skel

2. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    i imagine it's because invisible doesn't necessarily = inaudible

:)

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I suspect it might be a cost saving measure....

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    +1

5. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Because then it's not really a 57 reissue.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea I know that. It must be, as others have said, that the improvements would effect the tone, otherwise I think people would be very happy to have the same tone and feel as a genuine '57, but with a better quality neck.

Skel

7. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    The Fender reissues are period correct, even on small details. This includes things that were later " improved." If they put graphite rods in the neck, it would not be a reissue, just a '51 style bass, which they sell. The hard core fender players would throw a fit if they put modern appointments on a RI. The Custom Shop reissues even have parts that are made on the original machines and the pickups are wound by Abigail Ybarra, one of the original pickup winders from the '60's!! Pretty cool.

8. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    It wouldn't have the same tone, the stiffness of the neck and what it's made of affects the tone. Also the original 50's and 60's fenders necks were pretty strong. It's just as fender mass produces more of them the quality of the wood drops. The reissues are higher quality.

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Let's face it - it's done that way because no changes = easy/uncreative business and max profit.

Doing a reissue and matching the Look is one thing. But manufacturers matching to the point of Retaining Weaknesses is pointless. After all, the bass is to play, not to just look at, right?

10. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah but fender reissues sound closer to the sound of the fender's they are trying to copy. Some people like that vintage sound and feel of the bass.

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    +1.

12. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I have had the chance to play an original 61pbass, a 62 reissue, and an MIA with graphite rods with the same strings and pretty much the same setup. That being said, they don't play or sound the same, and while part of this is because of the pickups, which soon the MIA will be getting a vintage pickup, part of it is the bass and how it's made. I prefer the feel of the reissue to the MIA.

13. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Some people have no sense of history it seems. Sad.

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    That's great to hear...seriously. If they have a product that makes you happy, what more could you ask for?

I have to throw this in too; The Geddy Lee, which I thought was "juvenile" to even think about getting, is an absolutely kick ass bass. If Sadowskys and Laklands are way better than this, I need to get one.

Skel

15. 3flowoj

3flowoj

Jan 13, 2005
    Morton IL
    I put quotes around "improved" for a reason. Most pro's would not call the idiosyncrocies weakness. There are no graphite reinforcment rods in vintage fenders, and most do not have neck problems. My Fenders and G&L's don't have graphite in the neck and they are incredible. I have jammed on a '57 RI P-bass and it was perfection, and I have jammed on an original '57 that the RI was modeled from, and I can tell you, without a doubt, that there was absolutely NO weakness in any part of that bass. It had mojo that Shakespere could not put in words.

16. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I agree. I've played a few CS RIs, some original vintage Fenders, and some brand new, all-improvements-included MIA stuff. I tend to like the RIs the best.

17. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    A quart sawn graphite reinforced maple would be awesome!!

18. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    One of the great things about Rickenbacker is that it seems like they just keep producing the same 4000 series bass guitar, but they add improvements like the 2nd truss rod. I don't know for sure if that changed the tone, but I don't think it did at all, or certainly not enough to matter to me. I can't imagine them coming out with a "reissue" of anything. I like that simplicity.

Skel

19. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I thought the 2nd truss rod wasn't so much an improvement as it was necessity.

20. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    They actually do have reissues.