Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why would i want a neck-thru again?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PollyBass, Dec 20, 2001.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok. maybe im a dork. but what are the advantages of a neck-thru bass? dont bolt ons have better punch and stabilty? and you can replace them if they go to bent. the reason i ask this is because i was looking at some spectors. im worried about the neck-thru's. it says the pro series has graphite reinforcement in the neck thru basses. would this end my wories of a bent neck?

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why are you even worrying? How often do you hear about people replacing a whole neck because it bent out of repair?

If you like the bass, buy it. No need to worry.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Neck throughs usually don't have a heel joint to impede your left hand in the upper register. Also, neck throughs are often said to bring out fundamental frequencies to a greater extent than bolt ons.

Neck warping or humping issues are a moot issue in deciding whether or not to purchase a neck through. If the instrument is relatively cheap, the cost of replacing a neck will likely be a significant percentage of the instrument's price; if it's expensive, the instrument should come with a decent warranty to cover such mishaps.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    you wouldn't nessecarily want a neck through. They aren't everyones cup ot tea. I have a neck through, 2 bolt ons, and a set neck. They are all good for different things. I have a spector neck through and i couldn't be happier with it. For people who are worried about breaking the neck are far too hard on their instruments. A neck thorugh has amazing sustain and you can really feel the notes. I reccomend one.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok cool. thanks. i wasent really worried about it bending out of repair. but i have bad luck with necks. their my curse. Must be the Lousiana humidity. I was just asking. I love the bass. i just want to hear everyones opinoin about them (Neck thru's).

6. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I personally like neck-thru basses but my fave player does not (Garry Willis). He has his reasons which are explained on his webpage... who knows, go with what you like. I don't know, I never liked bolt-ons...

7. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I am not afraid to admit that I have no idea whether or not I have a bolt on or neck thru bass. Can anyone give me a few examples of each? For example, I have a Fender MIM P-bass. Is it a bolt on or a neck thru?? Wow am I dumb! Can anyone help? Thanks

8. fender p and j basses are bolt on

9. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Bolt on's have....uh.....bolts.....in the neck.... bolt, on.. neck thru have a neck,,,,that goes thru the body...so to speak.

10. Tonto_Goldstein

Tonto_Goldstein

Aug 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I was thinking that it was probably pretty simple, but sometimes you just never know.

Thanks again :D

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well tonto thats what talkbass is for. if i ever have a question about any thing related to bass. i know where to come.

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Bolt-ons:
    +'s Neck could be replaced. Wood against wood joint. Tone enhancements for modern bass playing. Shorter piece of wood to be true.
    -'s Possible deficiency in sustain. Factory shims to get neck to fit right.

Neck Thrus:
    +'s Sustain. Neck joint normally tailored.
    -'s Longer piece of wood needs to be true.

I would be careful with the painted neck thrus. You can't evaluate the neck as easily. Also, laminated neck thru's should be more sturdy and stable.

I have had both and the only thing I definitely noticed with a neck through is the increased sustain.

13. I agree with Rickreyn... I used to believe that all bolt-ons were punchy, and all neck-thrus had clarity. But my Tobias nick-thru is probably the punchiest of all my basses, and my old (sold) Modulus bolt on was about the clearest bass I have ever played.

But the sustain on the Tobias (and all my neck-thrus) is much longer than my bolt-ons. At least that is my experience.

14. Man all this worry about permanently warped neck through necks I keep reading about, is a myth! Even in the unlikely chance that a quality multi-laminated neck did warp, luthier/repair shops have had a heat treating, weighted fix for this for centuries! (Heat the neck with a heater and weigh it down with a striaight edged-clamped weight) How do you think all of those one piece classical guitar necks were repaired? They weren't all removed from the guitar's body, they were heated and weighed down flat. Life is good! Don't worry be happy!

15. 6-Bolt bolt-ons ( 4 String ) are best in my oppinion but neck-through is nice too...