1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why would my power amp go into thermal protection immediately?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I drug out my PA today. One of my drivecore 2000's is acting up. For a while I got a fault code and no sound. Eventually, it would work for a short while but cut out/cut back in no matter how it was configured, etc. I contacted Crown but it's the weekend and it may be a while.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah but it's Monday now ;) No idea what's wrong, but at least you can get answers now.

3. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    If it went into protection immediately, it wasn't a thermal problem, but I would check the load before anything else. Look inside of the plugs on the speaker cable(s) and unplug the speaker(s) to see if it goes into protection without a load. If it does, the amp has problems- could be DC at the output, a shorted output transistor, a bad thermo-couple or a power supply problem.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    "Good news, everyone!" Crown is going to repair it under the 3 year no fault warranty. They are paying the freight, sending a new box and packing materials for transit. Awesome!