Why would you tune like this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jodeen, Aug 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jodeen

jodeen

May 27, 2017
    ADGCFBbEbAb instead of the usual F#1 E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4 for an 8 stringer?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Because you like it better?

What did I win?

3. jodeen

jodeen

May 27, 2017
    Anyone tune their 8 like this and what are the benefits to it over the standard?

4. Not that exact tuning because ive never owned an 8. I have had a 7 string setup f#beadgc and beadgcf. With my main player which is my Warwick thumb NT6 6 string we have a few songs where I drop the low B to A so AEADGC.

There's are a few benefits of not using low f#.

1 cost. Low f# strings are stupid expensive. You can get a nice low A out of a good low B string. If you're going to use low A as your standard tuning you can even go as high as a .140 or .145 gauge if you want (I prefer lighter than that personally) but going from .145 up to .175 for example there's a huge price jump.

2 maybe that tuning is easier to play the music they play. Maybe it's more based on what the guitar(s) player is tuned to.

3 maybe they don't like the feel of low f# strings. if you've never used a low f# string it's about as thick as a pencil. Using a much lighter gauge string for low A is much more playable imo.

jodeen likes this.
  5. jodeen

jodeen

May 27, 2017
    Thanks a lot for your explanations Nephilymbass.
    Much to learn.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  6. no problem

jodeen likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021