Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why you don't like Modulus basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumbao, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    I'd like to get a Flea 5... but 35 scale!?!

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't know about you, but I like em, especially the Quantum 5 w/EMG's!!!!

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    who's badmouthing them??

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Uh...the Flea bass is a 34" scale neck...? :confused:

5. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Modulus basses are excellent! Great feel and tone from both barts and emgs. I would love to own one!

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Had a fretless M92 once. Just couldn't get into the graphite board. I guess I'm into the wood boards. Bass was light as a feather, though, and pretty. Just a little too bright tone wise, but I know that's what some cats are looking for.
    Doc

7. I'm into the tone, but I hate the skinny necks. Totally wrong for my hands.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I love mine.:D I have a Quantum 5 with Bart pups and 3 band eq.

You are not gonna find a Flea 5 with 35" scale, they are 34". The only way to get a 35" scale single pickup Modulus, AFAIK, would be to get a Quantum 5 Sweetspot.

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Me too! Mine is wonderful.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Love my Q6 with Barts and granadillo board.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Pricing and availability in Germany/Europe have keep me from looking into them.

There are so many small German companies who build great basses, so my next bass probably won't come from overseas.

12. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    Yeah, baby! Modulus is the way to go, imho. My Q4 is my main baby, while my Q6 is the backup, for now. I've got a fretless Q6, too. Looking to get a Q5 this fall, perhaps a used one.

I tend to like the used Quantums w/EMGs from the early to mid 90's. There's something about those PU's that are just very consistant and not as bright as today's versions.

13. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    Funny...the two great sounding used Mod's that I've owned where from '91, too...one of which I still own. I guess that was they're "pre-cbs" days, hehe,haha.

14. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Of course, every individual bass has its own mojo, but IMO, one of the greatest attributes of Modulus basses is consistency. I have probably played at least a dozen different ones before and after buying my Q5, and they were all remarkably similar and equally excellent.

I have no experience with small run hand builders such as Sadowsky, but as far as production basses, I can't think of another builder with an equally impressive record.

Chas

15. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I too played several Quantums, a few Fleas, and a few of the Genesis and VJ models. Every one of them played just as perfect as the next.

16. Count me in as a Modulus fan. Of all the basses I've owned and sold, the one I wish I would have kept was a Modulus Q6. Great playability and I love that distinct Modulus tone.

Jeff

17. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    My Q5 should be getting here (hopefully) in the next 3 - 4 weeks. (Ordered it back the last part of March.)

I'm as anxious as an expectant father!

darrelpr
    Another Modulust victim

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    eh...don't like 'em too much. i played one with barts, and it didn't have any growl - sounded like your typical bart equipped bass. lots of lows and highs and hardly any mids. the one with EMG's i played sounded too harsh.

and i hate gloss finished necks.

but like most basses - i'm sure i could find a configuration that would please me, i just haven't yet. and they sure LOOK pretty.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

No one instrument is going to please everyone. Re Modulus: bassists who prefer vintage tone often don't like them. There are many advantages to a composite neck, but vintage tone lovers accept the "warts" inherent in wood necks.

To put it another way: not everyone desires the greater clarity and sustain that a composite bass provides.

I love my Modulus, but I also enjoy my traditional passive basses.

20. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Agreed. But, you can get Modulus neck with a "satinized" finish - which is how I ordered mine.

cheers,
    darrelpr