1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why you don't like Modulus basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumbao, Jun 22, 2002.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I am Modulus fan even though I prefer more vintage tones in general, but you can argue with that thunderous clear B? However, I far prefer the earlier ones with emgs over Barts.
    Aside from the pickups, Mods are very consistant from bass to bass.

2. I second that!

3. I'm thinking of getting a Cirrus 6 Redwood or a Quantum 6 Alder with a Bart NTMB preamp and Bart Quad Coils...anyone know how they would sound? Would there be really nice mids or not? And is the B-string tight and articulate?

4. I own a genisis 5, and if it's a little sweetness in the mids yer lookin for this bass has'em...I don't hear much talk about the genisis model around here.mine has barts and some serious growl..a very "woody" sounding bass.I also have the punch and stability with the graphite "spine"...really is the best of both worlds.on the other hand the 35in. scale and W I D T H of that neck does not appeal to everyone.I like it for the full string spacing and I have long fingers so I don't mind the 35in.scale..I was going to order a Q5 fretless.I wanted a quantam real bad!! when I stumbled across my(fretted) genisis in a music store that I don't normally go to..it was (slightly) used and I got a very good deal on it.the minute I picked it up I knew I was going to own this bass,it just felt right...then I pluged it in and was just blown away by the sound.,"woody" is about the only word I can think of(right now) to discribe it..this bass is a true modern-classic...new school meets old school kinda thing goin' on here..I love it!!..try one,you might like it.

5. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    This seemed like a Modulus trashing thread from the name...

...But no one is trashing them! BECAUSE THEY ARE SWEET!

Modulus, for me, is a fantastic sounding bass with impecable craftsmanship in all of their instruments which produces a consistancy that I've never seen in any other bass. There is no type of required maintainance. Once set up correctly, it becomes a workhorse that could go from San Diego to Toronto in the middle of winter and still play, look and sound as beautiful as ever. Modulus continues to carry on legendary heritage of upholding its standards, something which can't be said for many brands which have gone from small operations to much larger ones. There is no type of gig that I could play where the Modulus wouldn't be a fantastic sounding instrument. If I somehow lose my Modulus, I know that I will be able to buy another one, new or used, that will be just as good or better than the one I currently own.

I can't say enough about this company. For me and many others like me, this bass is the standard to which I judge other instruments. I have set my hands on many basses in the past and will continue to do so into the future. But every time I do, I end up saying "I really like my Modulus much better."

As for the lack of growl... when I need it, I have a Warwick too:)

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    The Cirrus basses have a great low B. But the Modulus Quantum's have a phenomenal low B.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I wouldn't say I hate Moduli, give me a free one any day, but I wouldn't say I love them either. My beef with them is that their necks feels cold and sterile.

You'd think it's because of the graphite, but I love Zon and Steinberger necks, go figure.

8. stingray96191

stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    And the company is incredible too. When i first ordered my flea 4, it arrived ahead of schedule, in perfect playing condition, except the body had some minor finish damage. Benig that i had just payed $1800 for this bass, i figured that yes this was a big deal, and i called the company. I dealt only with Anderson Page, who quickly ordered a recall on the bas, and fixed the damage for me. It was only gone about a week and a half. And the finsh was almost like perfect, so i wasn't gonan complain. About a month later in the same spot the last cracks had been the damage was back, not as big of an area, but it was definatly cracked. I called up Anderson PAge once again, and he apoligized profusly, for my inconvienience and then said that MOdulus would build me a new bass from the ground up, and ship it out to me as soon as it was done. When i inquired about what to do with the one i had, he said don't worry about it, just keep it, and do what i wanted with it, until my new on was ready. I played 3 shows on that bass, before my new one arrived. It showed up at my house, before i ever heard anything about returning the other one. When i got the new one, which oddly enough had a lower serial # than the first one i recieved, and he ordered the recall on it and it went back. I now have a flawless flea bass that looks and fels just as good as the day i recieved it. I would recomend them to anyone, for quality, tone, construction, and customer service.

-Erin

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    They are nice and solid. My tones. I could play one, especially with barts, but I'd sure like to get a peak at some raw wood somewhere! So I am not there yet.

10. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I'll admit the first time I was a little shy...her neck felt "cold" and the pickups sounded a little "sterile."
    But then I got to do a whole gig with one (with Bartolini pickups) and fell in love...solid warm sound even response all over the neck,wow!
    So I don't like Modulus....I love 'em.