1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why you should always buy quality speaker cables

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 22, 2009.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    So I recently aquired an Alembic F-1X preamp, having decided that I should run my rig differently.

So going from
    Mesa Boogie 400+ into 4x10
    (Slaved into)
    Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 into 8x10

Prior to running this I'd just run the 400+ at 2.67 ohms, which is fine but decided this would be better, then the next problem is 400+ provides 4x10 with near 400w and 8x10 is being provided 200w per side so 400w in total.

So I've gone to

Alembic F-1X
    Into
    Strategy 1 into 8x10 (Strategy Left into Bottom of 8x10, Strategy Right into Top of 8x10)
    Strategy 2 into 4x10 (Strategy Left into 4x10, Strategy Right - OFF)

It sounds amazing, so I had the drummer with me and was showing off, going listen to a 3rd of my rig (1 half of the strategy with 1 4x10) then I started doing this with the 8x10 and all of a sudden the bottom 4x10 with 200w of power was louder, fuller and generally amazing sounding compared to the 8x10 with 400w. So I tried the other half, top of 8x10 and other side of Strategy and low and behold same sound, again bigger than the 8x10. Put them both on, loud, quite full, little bit distorted.

Suddenly went, OMFG the cab is wired out of phase with it's self, can't believe I've been using this for a year and it's been wired out of phase, then it dawned, there was nothing wrong with the cab but I was sending 2 cables to the 8x10, 2 NONE OBBM 20ft cables I had bought on a forum cheap to save money, took them apart and sure as hell one of the speakons was wired up differently.

Now many may say, how could you have not heard this, well I've used cabs out of phase before and it is clearly noticeable, massive loss in volume and aweful sound. The 8x10 is still loud and I've eq'd it thinking this is how it sounded. Also note that since I only recently aquired a preamp the only way I've been able to run the Strategy is with the 400+ which needs a load so the 4x10 has been on and again this is so loud and full it's difficult to tell if one half of a cab isn't working right. Also only been using the rig with 400+ and Strategy for a month or 2 and by having a 4x10 nand rack on side of stage and 8x10 on the other the sound was always loud and full anyway.

So here is the moral, make sure you check what you buy, or buy from someone who knows what they are doing and get it right first time.

Can't freakin believe it.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Even better, make your own. It's not much more difficult than changing a lightbulb. With Speakons you don't even need to solder. As for 1/4" these are what you want to be using:
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=092-202

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
  4. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Wired backwards, that's pretty weak. :eyebrow: (Unless the PO set it up like that deliberately for some app...?)

My greater fear is having a connection go open, which would fry my tube amp. That's why I hold out for the beefiest connectors I can and always inspect the soldering (if it's 1/4").