1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why Young Players Should Heed This Advice

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by aureliab20gt, May 4, 2020.

1. Before we were all imprisoned thanks to CV, I had been to hear a couple of young bands. Both the bass players felt as though they needed to exhibit their skills to the max.....as a result, some of the music was lost.
    Perhaps all new/young players should watch Victor Wooten in this video and heed the advice.
    I'm sure that most of us elderly players have watched it before....still, worth a recap.
    Love the bit about BB King!

BassChuck, onsecondbass and SteveCS like this.
  2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

But that would require that we all have the same musical goals.
    And that would mean we would be playing the same music.
    And we're not.

Some people have a whole lot of history and culture invested in B.B.King
    Allan Holdsworth wouldn't be Allan if he did what B.B. did.
    And I wouldn't have listened to Allan if he sounded like B.B.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Lownote38 and Vinny_G like this.
  3. yeah true....and I agree
    I think Victor makes an important point.....that young players should walk before they try to run and nailing the groove and providing foundation is important whatever the genre.

gebass6 likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021