1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WHY???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Claymore, Apr 29, 2020.

1. You wanted to emulate some player you saw/heard

90 vote(s)
    18.3%
  2. You played your friend's bass and was instantly hooked

45 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. You wanted to play with these guys but they already had like, 18 guitar players

95 vote(s)
    19.3%
  4. You started noodling around on a bass in some guitar store and fell in love

13 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. You wanted to be different cuz there's WAY too many guitar players

79 vote(s)
    16.1%
  6. some other reason (please specify)

169 vote(s)
    34.4%
  1. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    It all started somewhere for each of us. For me, it was drinking Jägermeister and peppermint schnapps and my buddy (who was in an Iron Maiden tribute band) said "Hey, try this." He handed me his custom painted whatever-brand bass with Labella black tapewounds plugged into a Randall half-stack and just let me marinate in the awesomeness that is... BASS.
    Never looked back. And you?.... :D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    GreyEagle, UMA1, levis76 and 7 others like this.
  2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i wanted to:
    "play with these guys but they already had a tenor sax player"

UMA1, HG1180, Gyver and 9 others like this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

There's like 18 guitars in The Valley, WAY too many:

Figuratively everyone is using "literally" now, as well.

MonetBass, ElGoodo, teh-slb and 8 others like this.
  4. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Fer sure, Fer sure! :roflmao:

teh-slb likes this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

TBH if I knew how tone-deaf I am I never would have started!

UMA1, xbud, Williethump and 9 others like this.
  6. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015
    Greetings All,

I was doing demos and wanted them to sound like a bass player playing a bass not a guitar player playing bass.

Took lessons from a variety of people and then finally was good enough in my mind to take lessons from a bass player that I have worked with since my 20's.

Joined a side band for several years playing bass and doing numerous venues. Looking back, amazed what we managed to accomplish. More amazed that during that time, the only effect I used was an electric 110v powered MXR flanger. Sort of odd as my guitar rig is pretty complex, oh and I knew nothing about mutes.

My demos for band material must have improved as the bass player, my last teacher, said it sounded like it should.

Playing bass has expanded the way I write and play music.

Myself, years back, our bass player told me to redo the part with a different bass. I had only an old Ibanez, something that was price from the late 80's and had an EQ, that i swear has no bottom end. She brought an old bass to rehearsal and left it in my care for about a year. It was a first year Precision!

I used the Ibanez, still have it, until the music store I part timed at had a lawsuit headstock G&L 2000, a little beat but $100 in the early 90's, it was a trade in. It made me realize the lack of lows from the Ibby. It had about twice the bottom end.

Now if me, a crossed dominant eyed player could just get a good independent two hand technique on keyboards,I'd be happy.

7. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Your 1 effect was a flanger?... That IS unusual. I don't know if I've ever used a flanger on bass. Thanks for the unique story! :)

8. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Short version: About a year ago, I started playing so that my guitarist son would have someone to play with.

Long version: Not really a gig, but...

9. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015
    I could thicken things up with it.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1985. My band director called me into his office and told me he wanted me to play tuba in the jazz band. ( I played all low brass at the time.) I said something like “No thanks. That ain’t cool.”

Two weeks later he called me back into his office. He pointed in the corner. There sat a brand new Fender P bass and a Peavey TNT amp. He said “Jazz band starts in a few weeks. You better be ready.” The rest is history.

UMA1, retslock, PaulS and 31 others like this.
  11. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    Heh, that's an awesome story.

UMA1, Ross W. Lovell and two fingers like this.
  12. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Haha...I like that "WHY???" as in why did this happen to me!:laugh:

UMA1, Ross W. Lovell and Claymore like this.
  13. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I regret nothing. ;)

14. Rev12_11

Rev12_11

Oct 5, 2019
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Worship band had 2 guitarists, 2 keys & 0 bass players.

I've been playing less than a year.......I may enjoy it more than my 6 strings.

15. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Keep at it! It only gets more satisfying as time goes on. :D

Fretless1!, Spidey2112 and Rev12_11 like this.
  16. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    It actually drew women.... if you could call Jr High girls women.

To clarify. I was a 7th grade orchestra geek, played upright bass, and had learned some guitar a few years earlier. The band instructor needed a bass player for the jazz band and offered to let me use his gorgeous Pbass, use the schools band room PA to practice, and give me lessons to get me started...

Let it be known... I was an introverted geek. Not homely... but massively awkward... The first time I practiced that bass in the main band room I immediately had about 5 girls around me, asking me about it and hanging on every word.

Depending on your perspective... my life either got really good or really went down the crapper. (a long horror story about drugs and death of band members for a later date)

A couple years later I was playing in a bar band that played local ballrooms (where the high school kids went to party back n the day) People thought I was cool... but from what I know now... man, I was still clueless and could have ruled my own little world.

Two fingers... seems we both owe our band instructors ;)

UMA1, M0ses, MonetBass and 7 others like this.
  17. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Pink floyd... live at Pompeii. Screen pans to Roger Waters playing a P bass

..................mindblown

JmJ, MonetBass, Rojd and 4 others like this.
  18. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I just zeroed in on "massively awkward". That alone is worth a like.

UMA1, Gearhead17 and TheReceder like this.
  19. Because I could hear it and feel it. It caught my attention.

MonetBass, tito0515 and Claymore like this.
  20. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Waters' riff halfway into Echoes is awesome. You can tell he's totally into it and in another world.

Low Crow and Thundertips like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021