Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have been sitting around letting some extra money coming my way burn a hole in my pockets thinking about what I can buy, and now I am thinking why? I could use a fretless upgrade, but I don’t need one. I certainly do not need another fretted bass. Why do I always want something else?

2. Because we "want" more than we "need".

3. Gordo350

Gordo350

Sep 20, 2018
    Because money is evil and must be disposed of

4. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I did the same thing until I got my G&L JB-5. Now I have found my perfect bass, I want for no other bass. But, now I need the perfect amp.

5. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    It's a kind a mental disorder, almost every bass player has it.

DadRola, foxadn, Bruno1950 and 48 others like this.
  6. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Nordstrand Big J Blades

Cheese.

They aren't much. About 200 bucks. They'll change your life. We'll, at least theyll change one bass :)

7. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I’m doing better about coveting instruments. I have a couple more to sell, I’m usually drawn to playing one bass all the time anyway. I’ve also settled on what I like. Active/passive 5 string with a P/J or similar setup, Nordstrand electronics.

I’m all set with my Reiner and Berg amps, and a couple of Berg cabs.

But I hunger for effects. I have so many, and some really incredible ones on the way.

I’m practicing better than I have for many years, I’m loving learning so much even at my ridiculous age. I’m composing, mixing, learning to edit video, and will soon be gigging again (all amateur or semi-pro). And yet, I still love buying new stuff.

At this point I’ve almost come to terms with the fact that for me, seeking, buying, and owning musical gear is fun for its own sake. Using it is great, but I have more than enough for many lifetimes already.

Whataya gunna do? Just sayin.

8. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    get that HD your drooling over, enough basses, lol

Datsgor and Dr. Cheese like this.
  9. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Bank it!

10. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Because GAS is chronic, and there is no cure. Only remission.

11. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    A fascination with novelty isn't a flaw in character.

I'm usually content to hit up a music store and noodle around with whatever is on the rack for a while before going home to what I have. But that's been hard for the past year both because of COVID and because those racks have been pretty close to empty (and what is on the racks is usually the stuff-nobody-wants that have been lingering for years). So I've been feeling the desire for something new more strongly than usual lately.

bpmben, dasherf17, dkelley and 5 others like this.
  12. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    IMO, one is either impulsive and must have the new shiny thing as soon as it hits the market,
    or it's more of a complicated relationship with GAS.
    My method, which is in a trial stage at present has been this:
    First of all, I went through every bit of gear I own and made sure I have 'all I need' in that aspect. After a complicated process, I came up with a list of things.
    1. a P bass
    2. a J bass
    3. an active dual Humbucker bass.
    also,
    1. a 4 string
    2. a 5 string
    3. a 6 string
    (I managed to pull this off with only three basses)
    Concering amplification:
    I have two cabinets that are small and light enough to work for home practice and acoustic sessions, yet powerful enough to do outdoor rock gigs at full blast, plus two amp heads to drive these cabinets.
    And the misc. stuff:
    A pedalboard that is rigged to do 'my' sound, a spare pedalboard with tuner and PSU mounted plus a few spare pedals, so I can throw something on there in a pinch.
    A Headrush Gigboard.
    A ton of cables, accessories, stands, straps ...
    Proper means of transportation (bags, cases etc.)

In theory, this is enough to last me a lifetime - and there is enough redundancy. Any bit of my gear may break on a Sunday afternoon and I'll be able to play the gig that's scheduled for the evening.
    I know that it's totally possible for me to reach a new level of playing and my preferences might shift enough so the gear that is 100% ideal for me at the moment might become less ideal in favor of other things - and that might be the moment where GAS finds a gap to wedge its ugly fangs in.
    But for the time being, I do the same you do, Dr. Cheese. I see a new shiny thing, I drool a bit from the corner of my mouth and then I ask myself if I really NEED that.
    I wait a day and usually, the itch is gone.

13. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    My spare cash goes into $TSLA. Saves the planet, makes me rich. Win-win.

Yogi Bear, Artman, MattZilla and 3 others like this.
  14. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Because like all of us you have been indoctrinated into consumerism from the day you were born :)

Mpcorb, villegastx, BSatt and 25 others like this.
  15. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade your fretless. My rule now is if I find something I like better , then something else has to go .

16. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Here's a thought for you. Get a set of E-C strings for one of your 5-bangers - might help with the 'Prelude in C' project.

17. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    I went on the same boat of upgrading my 70s Squier VM to a Fender US Geddy. Did I need it? Not really. I was honestly pretty happy with just the Squier and not needing to upgrade. But was worth it?

Honestly, it’s up for debate at this time as I’m still playing around with the Geddy and realizing the Squier VM I had was just as good (if not decent) than the US Geddy :wacky:

skycruiser, Dr. Cheese and CallMeAl like this.
  18. Boredom. You probably need something else to focus on... Not judging.

dasherf17, petrus61, ShawnG and 2 others like this.
  19. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    If anyone has money to spare, give it to your kids. They probably need it more than you do.

20. As a society, we're constantly bombarded with advertising telling us we need something that we really don't need. On top of that, people are not really the rational creatures we like to believe we are.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021