Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've been wondering: Why are these basses so underrated? I'm speaking of the Modulus Genesis 5. No one speaks of these. I called Modulus, and asked them to send me one to fiddle around with (it's great being signed to a major label sometimes! :D ) This is the one they're sending. I'll give a report. I just want to know how a bass designed by Mike Tobias and built by Modulus gets no press.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Modulus? Tobias? Is there any doubt with a bass that rugged? You are Action Woodchuck.

I'd love to try one. Heeeeeeyyyyy...Maybe they should talk to Mike about designing an "Evolution" model (get it, Genesis, Evolution!? Hahaha...I kill me...;)). Y'know, an atomic P bass. Something to make the Jazzers cry.

Man, I'm gettin' all hot and bothered just thinking of such a bass.

3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i prefer this to the Q series.

f

4. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I love the Genesis series. I really wish that they made a 6 string version though. My Genesis is my favorite gigging bass. Ultra versatile with the 3 band and comfy as all hell. I have often wondered why they don't get the love they deserve. It is a shame really. I played a fiver once with Lane Poors and the Aggie 2 band. Look out! That bass was a monster. It really is an excellent bass though, and deserves more press. Rock on Woodchuck.

5. I called Warwick and tried to get them to send me a new thumb bolt-on to fiddle with. I guess they don't care too much about "Phil the IT guy". Just wait until I get famous...just you wait.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    :D :D

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hey- you've got my address. Have them send me one, too. ;)

8. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    its Phil HENDRY...

great show!!!

f

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've played a bunch of Genesis basses. They're excellent basses. The only explanation I can give you is that some basses are sleepers.

For those unfamiliar with them, the Genesis has a composite neck with wood inlaid on the back, giving it an overall wood feel. Kramer did the same thing with some of their aluminium necks in the 70's. Graphite stability, wood feel. Tobias designed neck.

They're nice basses but they're also in the $2K plus area new. Pretty stiff competition when you get in that range and good marketing doesn't hurt. Does Modulus market?;)

A friend of mine recently got a smokin' Kinal 5 string from BassNW... that has even less name recognition than the Genesis line;)

10. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    BASSNW had a cocobolo KINAL for a while that was just KILLING ME.

love em.

f

11. If I were to get a Modulus, I guess that would be the one. Problem is, I'd rather have 100% MTD than a bastardized breeding of the two.
    ~Ad

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah I called a place once to see if I could get free strings.. I never heard back.. and here you go asking for a bass to noodle around with.. why does this not seem fair? :)

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive played it before, and loved everything except for the 35" scale.

I never noticed how much my playing depends on muscular memory and the familiarity and association between arm positions and notes untill I played that bass.

It did have killer tone though.

Peace
    Nick

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've played two of them. They had great tone. They were both really heavy, and that huge neck hurt my hand.

15. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Thats nice.. Now, woody... Send me your SSII while this bass. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Hey, the Lakie Hollowbody was designed by Mike Tobias too. Mine should be done soon!!

17. Scott Green

Scott Green

Sep 16, 2001
    I used to have a Genesis 5 and really liked it, my only gripe was that it seemed longer than my 35' Lakland. The Lakland seemed to sound better recorded and was more comfortable to play. What band or name are you signed under by the way?

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Scott: My band is called El Pus (don't ask!). We're on Virgin Records, and our album has a March release date. I'll be flying out of Atlanta on the 28th of this month to finish the album in LA. As for why your Genesis don't record well, they used to have a cedar neck, but they've since switched to hard maple to rectify that issue.

19. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Wow, I expected problems getting used to my first 35" bass, but was surprised when I had none. I guess hack hobbyist that I am, I look at the neck a lot more and rely less on muscle memory than a lot of more professional players here.

Also, the 35" bass is my only fretless so it was bound to be different anyway.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I almost never look at my bass while I play. Its just something I dont usually need to do.

The only reason I even realized that it was a 35" scale is because I had to look at it.

Peace
    Nick