Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Paul A, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Why do manufacturers make halfway decent basses and then fit crapola electronics?
    I just finished going through my daughters (Squeir) bass.
    I replaced both pots with decent "Cermet" ones,the crappy little ceramic cap with a resin dipped one, and the wiring with some decent O.F.C. stuff.
    The difference is unbeleivable!
    Total Cost .... about £5.
    I was thinking of replacing the PUP..... now I don't need to!
    :eek:

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Why do people post in the wrong forum?

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    it's easy to answer. you needed 5£ for upgrading your bass. assuming that Squire produce a great number of bass each year, you should be able to calculate how much money they don'y use and put in their pockets...;)

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Surely though, if they spent the extra £5 - Would'nt they sell more basses? = more profit?

:confused:

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I don´t see why people would buy more basses "with new and upgraded pot!".

Those basses are generally bought for beginners or novice players which don´t know and/or don´t care what a "pot" does, why should it make any difference to them?

So by this Fender is keeping all unnecessery cost down to a minimum.

6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    No, I think you are missing the point...
    The Bass I "Modified" sounds MUCH better now.
    Surely they would get better reviews from the music press whatever = more sold?

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    More to the point, how much more profit are other manufacturers making by using essentially the same production techniques but higher quality components. One thing you can be pretty sure of is that £5 extra spent on components is going to add more than £5 to the final price. In fact, I suspect that those kind of things are the difference between a lot of low-end and mid-ranged instruments.

I think one thing mass production, low end manufacturers sometimes skimp on is quality control - if you're willing to play a lot of cruddy instruments until you find the one that works, and maybe do a little upgrading of the electronics, you could get a seriously good bargain.

Of course, with the low-end logo on the headstock, it will have no resale value but it's a route worth considering if you're looking for a great sounding instrument on a tight budget.

Wulf

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    No I didn´t miss the point. The squier is a "low end" instrument, and as such marketed for novice players and beginners. They have probably calculated that the cost of upgrading the components isn´t worth it because of increased production cost and the sales would most likely not increase. The bass would also be a bit more expensive.

They have probably come the conclusion that more often than not, novice players, parents who are buying this as a gift etc. have no idea what this does and don´t care. Fender probably can not see any reason to increase production cost for something they ultimately think will not make any difference at all in the long run.

Those who stick to bass and will generally move on to a better bass. So why throw more money in the production thus costing the consumers more.

This is all IMHO, YMMW, my 0.02$ etc.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - but also, if you make the bass too good, there might not be such a perceived difference between a Squier and say a MIM bass. So they have probably calculated they would sell less MIM basses and lose out that way!!

The beginners wouldn't bother to save up a bit more for an MIM as they wouldn't tell the difference.

So - overall - they would end up selling less basses that cost more - very bad from their point of view! ;)

This goes all the way up the scale - so when you make one bass - it makes sense to use the best components you can; but when you sell a range of basses - you don't want them competing with each other!

10. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hmmm,
    Points taken, but one thing to consider BEFORE lashing out loads on a replacement pickup is to "upgrade" the electronics - It makes one hell of a difference.
    I bought the Squier (Short scale Bronco) for my daughter (8 ) - she loves Bass but my P Basses are WAY too big for her.
    I would've liked to get something more "upmarket" for her but I couldn't find anything else! (Other than a Hohner which is only any good for firewood!)

Anyway, now its set up properly with a decent set of rotosounds on it and the electronics done it's a damn fine little instrument!
    :D

11. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    My son is at the um and ah stage re buying a bass (we have a deal he buys the bass and I provide an amp-which I have done; I needed a practice amp anyway ha ha).

He probably get a Squier and I have a butchers at the electrics.

Thanks Paul.

12. uh, well......nevermind..... ;) :rolleyes: :p

But yea, if they spent that extra five pounds there would be a huge loss in profits, and we all know that the modern industry is not concerned with goods and the consumer but with capital.

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    The answer to a "why" question is usually "money". Surely the bean-counters have researched and come to the conclusion that they can make more money with "crapola electronics".

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I totally agree!!!!

15. dachkevitch

dachkevitch

Dec 3, 2005
    Paul
    could you detail your upgrade on the bronco
    (the coponents mainly)
    i'm mainly guitar player i have a bronco bass witch i love to play and will be happy with anything maks it sound better

16. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

If you make a million widgets and save a nickel on each one...

Also, the incentive to buy the upscale models must not be compromised by the entry-level product being percieved as "just as good" for a fraction of the price. They just want to fill a market niche, without dislodging their other successful products from their's.

Makes perfect business sense.