Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Paul A, May 9, 2003.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    O.K.,
    So.... last night the band are practicing.
    Ran through all our set list, everything sounds great until...... we play "route 66".
    Simple tune, easy bass line but no matter what we did ... it sounded like crap.
    How is such an easy tune so apparently easy to screw up? we all sounded like we were trying to play in different times.
    No matter what we did, we couldn't get it to sound good........ why? :meh: :confused: :confused:

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe you all had different ideas of the tempo in your head - thinking of different versions maybe?

Do you count it in - does everybody stick to that count-in? Does everybody practice with a metronome or at least understand how beats are counted and how to stick to a specified tempo?

Maybe - bring a small digital metronome along to rehearsals, agree what tempo it should be and leave it going while you start the song, then get everybody to stop in the middle, listen to the metronome and see whether you think you are behind or ahead of the beat...

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This is why you should record rehearsals, a tape recorder is good enough in most cases.
    Use the recordings to pick good parts from jam sessions and to pinpoint mistakes/things to improve.

4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Not a bad idea Bruce, I have a built in metronome in my Zoom Bfx ... Maybe I've found a use for it!
    And I like the idea of recording (but maybe that make us all run away for good!) :meh:

5. How funny! Something similar happened at my band's rehearsal last night, and it wasn't the first time. On some tunes, it seems like my drummer's kick drum is dragging and his snare is rushing... :confused: Someone else ever experienced this? How can you lock in with that kind of rhythm? I had a VERY hard time keeping the groove on some songs. Some others were OK, though.

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Always always always record absolutely everything that you play; practice, rehearsal, gigs, lessons... anything and everything!

I'm amazed at the number of musicians that don't do this.

7. tomtom

tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    my guess is because it's a shuffle. a lot of folks just can't feel em. (a lot of people that can play em can't play anything else)

spend some time in triplet land for a while

8. Is 66 a shuffle? Take Five (local Adelaide band - supporting Renee Geyer a fortnight's time!) do it as just a swing, and it's sounds fine.

I agree - perhaps record a session. I don't do it myself (I don't have a recorder that oblivious), but it sounds like a good idea.

9. Well it’s either you or the drummer.
    "Simple" song can be very hard.
    I know guys who can play prog rock all night but even though they think Wild Thing is the easiest song in the world they can't make it feel right.

The song that used to kill me was Pride and Joy by SRV. Just played it over and over until it was right.
    Don't dismiss the simple song.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Let us know how it goes.....I must say that while I can see that recording rehearsals is a good idea in theory - I don't see how it is going to help resolve your particular problem.

Only something like checking against a metronome is going to help - I mean if you are listening back to a recording and you are all 'out 'against each other timewise - then all that is going to happen is that everyone will blame everyone else - the metronome can't be wrong!! ;)

11. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I don't believe what happened........
    Turns out I have been listening to and learning the Rolling Stones version, the drummer has been listening to Chuck Berry, and the guitarists to The Blues Band ......... :meh: :eek: :eek:

12. Bruce Lindfield

Told you so!!

:D