Why'd you sell your Cirrus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cassanova, Mar 11, 2005.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Many of you know that I'm jonesing for a Cirrus 6 string.

I'm very curious to know why the Cirrus owners here sold your Cirrus's? Was it for tonal reasons, construction ones, found something better that you wanted and sold it to use for the next bass, etc?
  2. Lulu

Lulu Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Selling my Cirrus 5 ? NEVER, it's always the same pleasure to play with my Peavey since my purchase in april 2000.

But I see often on ebay some Cirrus to buy on a very very low price (in comparaison with Europe, Belgium where I live), why ? good question !

Nice day

3. MrWalker

MrWalker Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Well... I haven't sold my Cirrus 6, and that's because it's a great axe, got lots of useful sounds, is comfortable to play and wear, has an ultra-tight low B (probably due to the 35" scale length).

The previous owner sold it mainly because of the tight string spacing. Although I usually prefer wider spacing, I don't mind the tighter Cirrus spacing. Overall it's a great bass!

I did consider selling it, because I felt it was stiff and lacked something in the sounds... it just sounded a little "strangled." Then I decided to take off the Elixir strings and reevaluate it before putting it up for sale. I had put on the Elixirs a year and a half ago and replaced them with DR FatBeams. The bass came instantly alive, and no lack in sound or anything else were any longer evident. It's now a definite keeper.

So, get a Cirrus if you like good sound and not ultra-wide string spacing, don't string it with Elixirs, and be happy! :D :D
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The only reason that I could ever imagine selling mine would be financial difficulty.

I have a Nordstrand SC5 and a Zon Sonus Custom fretless 5, so my Cirrus is #3. If I were ever forced to sell everything except for one or two basses, the Cirrus would be the odd man out.

Hopefully, that will never happen.

The only dislike I have is the tight string spacing. The Cirrus sounds as good as the Nordstrand, but sounds different. But the Nordstrand has 19mm bridge spacing, which is what I prefer. So, the Nordstrand is a little more comfortable for my right hand.
  5. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I sold mine (all 3 of them that I've owned) because I either went through phases of wanting something different (6 string) or I realized that there was things out there that were better for me. I think it was mostly the tight string spacing (tight for me). I still think they are one of the best basses for the money. :)
  6. rugrat

Nov 12, 2003
    Northwest Illinois
    I sold my 5 because I needed the money for my Spector NSJH5CM. The Cirrus was a nice bass, probably the most beautiful one I have ever owned. The only problem is that the sound just wasn't for me. My Spector sounds much better for my style.
  7. migo_de_bajo

Feb 23, 2005
    I had a walnut/bubinga 5 for about a year. It sure played nice, but I wasn't crazy about the tone. It was the 2nd neck-thru bass that I've had that just sounded--well, "necky"--to me. I let it go somewhat reluctantly because it felt so good. A few months later I picked up a USA Millennium 5 Tigereye with maple fretboard. It's much more to my liking tonally. I especially like the preamp's semiparametric mid control. I found a spot (a bit of low-mid cut) that seems to complement the natural sound of the bass, so I generally just leave the mid set there and treat it like a 2-band eq. It's a really nice feature. It's available on the Cirrus, too, AFAIK.

By the way--3 thumbs up to Peavey's customer support!

8. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I have a plain-jane walnut Cirrus and I will NEVER SELL IT. In fact, I will go so far as to say that I would sell every piece of gear I have before I sold my Cirrus.

I'm currently GASing for a nice Spector, but that is just for the sake of variety and not because I "need" a Spector. The Cirrus has the tone and feel I'm after. I grow fonder of it every time I play it.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My Cirrus 5 was an excellent bass but I have a pretty hard lineup to crack;)
  10. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    the only reason that i would sell my cirrus would be to finance another bass that i had already played and decided was better for me.

in other words, there is nothing that i dont like about it as of right now, but something may come along.
  11. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    I had a Cirrus 5 (maple/alder) that was my #1 bass for years, played live/cd work, etc. It had never failed me. I recently (last month) sold it because I had the bass of my dreams made by Jacob Marchlewski. As good as the Cirrus is, the 'lewksi is that much better x 100. It does everything the Cirrus did with more conviction, focus, clarity, and style. Factor in a totally custom bass, neck profile, killer woods, top o' line electronics, 3/4" string spacing on a 6 string, everything suited to MY personal preferences over 25 years of playing stringed instruments, and I've got something that the Cirrus just couldn't measure up to. Not a diss...just the facts. I loved my Cirrus, and so does the guy I sold it to....I'm just lucky enough to get everything I wanted in a bass.
  12. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The spacing.

Loved it, but they tick me off thinking that everyone wants to play with the same spacing.
  13. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I sold my flame maple 4 string ONLY because I couldn't get comfortable with the 35" scale.
    I'm 5'6" with small hands and the Cirrus just didn't fit ME.
    It was the best playing bass I've owned, however.
    I used the money to have Dave Pushic make me a custom 4 string. :rollno:

14. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Because I was a fargin ice-hole and didn't know any better. I've since replaced it with another (5) and also a 6. They're staying. :) It was a bad case of GAS and "grass is greener" syndrome... ended up with a bass I didn't like nearly as much, and sold it off. Went on a quest to replace the C5 and only relatively recently resolved it. Never again.
  15. Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    I've owned two Cirrus basses. The first was a maple/alder 4 string. I bought it used for $650 in new condition. Fit and finish on this bass was excellent! Very shortly thereafter I had an opportunity to play a redwood/alder Cirrus and found I preferred it's tone over the maple/alder. I sold the maple/alder bass at a considerable profit and placed an order for a new redwood/alder Cirrus 4.

It took Peavey 3 months to finish the new bass. I was disappointed in the fit and finish on the new bass. There were minor finish flaws, the fretwork was poor, and the redwood top was poorly matched and none too atractive. I began to experience problems with the electronics at about 3 weeks - the neck pickup failed and needed to be replaced. For the next nine months the bass spent most of its time at the warranty service shop. The replacement pickup caused a problem with the balance control in the preamp. A replacement preamp did not correct the problem. Peavey then sent a replacement bridge pickup. The new electronics package functioned properly but didn't sound like the original electronics and I didn't like them (I thouoght that perhaps I was being hyper critical but my buddy and I A/B'd my bass with his redwood/alder 4 and there was indeed a considerable difference where there had been no appreciable difference before). Peavey agreed to pull the electronics from an older Cirrus and send them to the shop. When these were installed the shop called. At the shop one of the techs dropped an instrument cable end on the top of the guitar and dented the top & chipped the finish while I'm standing there. :mad: The bass now sounded as it had when I first received it but it was damaged and I had grown weary of the whole experience. I asked Peavey for a factory refund and they agreed.

The happy ending: I found a used Roscoe LG-3000 two weeks later and purchased it with the refund + $10.

My buddy has had no trouble with his Cirrus going on four years now and it sounds like many others are enjoying their Cirrus' trouble free as well. It seems my experience was just a fluke and it alone would not deter me from owning another Cirrus. I'm no longer interested, though, because I now find I don't care for the string tension or the string spacing on the Cirrus. I grown accustomed to the Roscoe (and my Bongo 4) and the feel of the Cirrus doesn't appeal to me any longer.
  16. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yup. Me too.
    Loved everything about my Cirrus 5 & 6 except for one thing....the narrow spacing (17mm).
    Had to go back to normal (19mm) spacing.
    If Cirrus ever start offering their 5s and 6s in wide/normal (19mm) spacing I'll come running back.
  17. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Out of the 3, the maple 4 was the only one that didn't last long. It always sounded thinner and more compressed than the 5's. I don't know if it was a bastard or just the less mass really made that much of a difference.

I originally bought it with the intention of being able to swap back and forth on stage, but no matter how I eq'd them on the way in, they sounded drastically different, and there was just no pulling it off.

Both sounded great alone, and amazingly with DR's on it, the 4 sounded VERY jazz bassish, which I absolutely love. But since it was the lowest common denominator, out it went. And well, funded my schroeder 3101212. So all's well that ends well :)