Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why're people so down on Hoppus?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Diomedes, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Diomedes

Diomedes

Sep 3, 2005
    Why do people hate Mark Hoppus so much? They always say he's overrated. but I've never heard anybody say he's a great bassist, so why do people always say he's overrated? Personally, I think he just does a great job singing well and playing the bass, which is hard enough.

Why the hate? :bag:

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The hookhanded bluesman, Rooster, grows divine corndogs. They be good eating.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I hate him because he tied my shoes together when I fell asleep on the toilet.

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Even if suffering is indeed occurring, not everyone feels it. When Odysseus went away for those twenty years, Telemachus continued to develop and people continue “eating or opening a window or just walking dully along” (line 4).

do a search, this has been done to death. I'm gonna pull the trigger here and basically paraphrase the other really freaking long thread for you so this will end now:

Mark hoppus does a good job at what he set out to do; he considers himself a songwriter first, then a bassist. There isn't much he can do with travis going nuts and yes, they pull of P4 harmonies quite well. and someone will undoubtedly say, "Yeah, that's hard, you try that" to which someone will respond, "Sting does it."

mark hoppus does not, I repeat, DOES NOT make crazy tantric love to trudy every night. and he does not play music that makes other ppl want to follow suit. He makes pop-punk. I'm not sure why it's called punk, maybe because they have tattoos and shamelessly say dirty words.

Overrated? No. Disliked merely because of his station within the musical universe? Yes. How you feel is a matter of opinion, just like whether or not Fieldy's tone sucks or if Tim C. is a complete and utter douchebag. Kids, please stop bringing this crap up. I'm supposed to be writing a paper right now. :ninja:

oh, and maybe it's because he plays a pink bass. sometimes that makes people angry...i'm not sure why.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I saw him with a seafoam green bass recently. That takes the edge off the pink, though it's hard to find clothes that match it (I own a seafoam green bass...I know).

6. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Blink 182, the coolest band on earth with the coolest songs... "i want to **** a dog in the ass...".

7. hOw cann u hateZ Mark HOPpus>?!?!

hez so originale and frfesh forr what he duz.

I bet u guyz hatez the almighty Fieldy too, what a virtuozo!

8. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I hate him, without even knowing anything about him, simply because he inspires posts like this one.

If I'm out of line here, then I apologize, but... :spit:

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Hoppus' music is boring. Fieldy's tone does suck. Tim C is a complete and utter douchebag, but has great tone. Thank you. That is all.

10. I don't have anything personal against Hoppus. It's just that Blink182 sucks immensely, he never plays anything even remotely good, and all the music is painfully simple. Their fans think these guys are gods but they wouldn't know real talent if it fell out of the sky, landed on their face and started wiggling.
    Quite honestly, I hate him because I'm a better bassist then him but I'm not famous and he is (AND he has a signature model Fender ***)....I guess it is a little personal.

11. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I really liked this part! Actually, I liked it even better than hearing about Blink821, or something... :D

12. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I'm sure you are, but are you a better singer?

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Futhermore... how do you know he isn't showing restraint. I'm sick of hearing people say, "Oh, he doesn't play 32nd notes at 184 BPM... and I have yet to hear a Blink 182 song with Two handed tapping or double thumping... therefore he sucks."

His job is to play stupid pop rock and jump around and have fun... he gets paid to have fun. Maybe jealousy comes into play. I'm jealous of him. I don't like his music, but I'd take his spot... but I'm not fun/punk/notfat.

14. Restraint eh?

Ah, the old "Adam Clayton Argument". :D :D :D :D

15. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Blink 182=Music for children.

16. I've never heard anyone say since he doesn't play 32nd notes he sucks. My gawd if he played 32nd notes like he plays all the rest of his notes then only god/allah/zeus could save us.
    Can you imagine 32nd notes and two handed thumb douple thumbs to those cheese pop progressions?
    I would definatley like his money, but not for a second would I make myself resort to plaing blink 182 songs....well not for longer than a month....then I'd have to go to like Julliard or some other pretentious jazz school to get all that blink 182 crap out of my head.

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My serious input on the issue is that he is living his dream. No one is putting a gun to his head and telling him what to play. So basically he is playing music that he likes to people who like to hear his music and gets paid mucho dinero. I wish I could say the same.

18. Vysous

Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    Even Jaco was overrated.

19. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    :eyebrow:

Actually, we are all overrated.

Anyways, most people hate Mark 'cuz he's famous and he isn't all that great. But, he wrote some catchy music people liked, and he can sing pretty aight, and that's all it takes. I didn't really dislike him that much until I read an interview with him recently, about Blink's breakup, and he seems like he is a real jerk towards Tom Whatever ( though I can't say I'd blame him :) , but if you are gonna play in a band with somebody for all that time, and then go talk bad about them in an interview, that's not cool.
    Also, my friend has their live CD, it is so funny. Not when they are trying to be, either. When Tom and Mark start talking about how their parents are gonna get them lessons for Christmas, I laughed so hard. They don't even realize that they aren't good :rollno: