Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why's my G&L L2000 better sounding than my Warwick Corvette?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Hello everyone,

a little story of my recent experiences...

I play in a heavy rock band and we play this special blend of metal, stoner and blues. Heavy distorted guitars with a nice overdriven sounding bass as well. Musicwise: Kyuss is a big influence, soundwise: our sound is more 'open' sounding than the standard stoner band. Our guitarists both use an all-tube Marshall halstack.

My amp is an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro. Great sounding amp; the sound of my dreams. The last two years I've been playing a Warwick Corvette Standard (two stock, passive, MEC JJ pickups). This bass/amp combination basicly sounds very massive.

Recently I bought me a second bass: a G&L L-2000. First of all: I love this bass. Period. =)
    It plays better than the Corvette, although the Corvette has a thinner neck. I always play quite effortless on the G&L while the Corvette is always a little harder to play (more string pressure). But this could be just a setup issue.
    Now, soundwise there's this big difference. The Warwick sounds very nice. Deep, yet very punchy. The highs are there but not always very very articulate.
    The G&L is all that and much more... balls balls balls. tons of low-end. Very articulate hi-end. In a word: the sound is very very FULL.

Now, what is it that I'm experiencing? The fact that I like active basses more (I played a Stingray once and it sounded quite like the G&L) compared to passive ones (the Corvette).
    Or am I wrong? Is this really deep and full bass-tone from the G&L available in passive basses (it isn't there in the Warwick)...

What do you think?
    Thanks in advance...

Bart

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    because it's better is my guess :smug:

G&L's are known for their massive sound.

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I think its the pickups. Them suckers are strong!

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

To my disappointment, I've tried Warwicks.

I think you've answered your own question. :D

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have a G&L L2000 and have just recently started playing it on gigs again. My sixer has a Bart 3 band pre and Bart pups but I swear I like the bottom end on the G&L. After playing the six for the last three years I forgot how great the G&L was.

6. Congrats on the new bass. I just bought a G&L Tribute L-2000.
    From what i have read about the G&L basses and from the one i played they have a very full sound and lots of toneal possibilitys. I have played warwick and wasnt happy with the sound or the feel of it compaired to the G&L. Plus the G&L was about $300.00 less than the Warwick. Did you buy the USA model or the Tribute?

7. I've got a USA L-2000. Payed 1000 euro's for it (second hand, new price is around 1500 euro's).
    Paid 500 euro for the Warwick (new price is around 1000 euro).

Are there any passive basses that sound as good as an active L2000?

8. That has always been my impression of G&Ls. Full, beefy sound and extremely solid feel. Every G&L I have tried has felt like a true workhorse, a tool for professionals. Perhaps not the sleekest and coolest instruments around, but all business.

Warwicks OTOH have never been my cup of tea. I can appreciate the looks and construction of the top end models. But the sound has left me wanting. They just don´t "connect" with me, if you know what I mean.

9. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    It's all in the wood selection :)
    An ash/maple or alder/rosewood combination is very different from a maple/wenge.
    Maybe you like better the combination of woods on you G&L than the Warwick.

Pedro

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    It's just the fact that G&Ls own all other basses hands down. :D
    They certainly are known for that sound, which I call the G&L sound or tone. It may be in the woods, but I think it mostly resides in those hot hot HOT pickups. I always wanted to drop G&L electronics in a P-bass and see what the result was.

Ray

11. Thanks for the opinions. Other opinions?

My Warwick's made of bubinga wood (body).

I'm seriously thinking about selling my Warwick and gettin' another Stingray. Although I still like playin' the Corvette, I'm starting to prefer the G&L.

12. I've got a 98 L-2000 with a 3 bolt neck that's more stable than any other bass or guitar I've owned. It's virtually indestructable- I'm not a big fan of polyurethane finishes, but it's tough and looks good. It sounds great with any of the active/passive modes. I did end up replacing the pickup selector toggle to a 2 position (neck and neck+bridge) since I never use the bridge alone.

13. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I think a major factor is that most Warwicks use heavy, oily, dense body woods. Ash or alder are lighter and more resonant. They will also be warmer, more punchy, and brighter sounding. I used to have a fretless dolphin which played great, but I just felt the sound was too dark, so I opted for a custom Zon with an ash body. Could be pickups/electronics too, but jazz pickups usually don't have trouble with clarity.

Dave

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's mostly the pickups...the G&L pickups are really in your face sounding, even when the bass is in passive mode (try it and see!).

When I owned one I used to roll the bass off in passive mode, it was just too much for me.

15. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Definitely both the wood and the pickups play a part in this tonal discrepancy. I was really surprised and a little sadden at how uninspired I felt when I first picked up a gorgeous Warwick Dolphin 5 string years ago. It was beautiful but I had to admit; I didn't care for the neck and unplugged it sounded dead. Plugged in, it just didn't have the snap and balls of my G&L ASAT. I really love my G&L but at the time I figured that the Warwick (which probably cost 3x what I paid for my axe) was going to be flat out amazing. Well it wasn't. I guess it’s really a matter of personal taste. If you cut yr teeth on Fender-type basses, you get accustomed to a certain tone and response from yr bass. The Warwick’s as we all know are high quality, excellent instruments but practically a different animal in terms of tone and feel.

r

16. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Does the L2000 have an very fat neck? i think they look great, but i need somthing to play fast on..(i didnt want to make an new thread..)

17. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The L2000 is basically the size of a Precision neck. The G&L ASATs, JB-2, and SB-2 have Jazz style necks. I'm partial to the comfy jazz necks myself, but the L2000 isn't exactly a baseball bat. If you order a domestic G&L L2000 you can always request a J-style neck (not sure if you have to pay more or not).

r

18. DigthemLows

DigthemLows

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    because of the pickups..............waaaaay better than any others out there..........

19. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    Pickup replacement is huge improvement for passive Vette. I replaced MEC:s with Seymour Duncan QP set.

Still the Warwick won't sound like G&L. I have old hot rodded Yamaha for occasions when I need full in-your-face sound. I use my Warwicks for recording and jazzy stuff where I need the deep bottom and well defined growl.

20. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I have to agree with mrbungle on this one. I replaced the pickups in my '97 Corvette (passive) with some DiMarzio Model J's and it made a world of difference.