1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why's TC so cheap?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vomicamonster, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Vomicamonster

Vomicamonster

Feb 6, 2017
    austin,tx
    TC Electronics is that company I rarely look at yet somehow always wind up on my board.

Why is their all analog "Built like a tank" (Cinder and whatnot, top mount plug in) series pedals so cheap? Every one is $60 new. Didn't they just recently (last year or two) come out with those? Are they a bust? Did they lose a bet? The company going under?

2. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    They were acquired by Behringer. So it's basically a cheap Behringer pedal upgraded with a sturdy metal enclosure branded with the TC name. Nice pedal, though, I have their compressor and it's working very well.

3. Jebberz

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    And you don't feel the buttons or the enclosure will break easily, as their plastic counterparts.

4. MITTENDORF

MITTENDORF Banned

Aug 6, 2018
    I didn't know Behringer owns TC.

I stopped buying any Behringer products since they stock NO parts. Nada. It's throwaway stuff with absolutely NO support. It's as if once a product is discontinued it goes off into the twilight zone...or purgatory.

5. Vomicamonster

Vomicamonster

Feb 6, 2017
    austin,tx
    So it's a larger company, larger headroom kind of cost slash? Or are they putting cheapy parts in them now? Hate to see it go that way. The Spark is the only OD/Boost I can get to fully cooperate with an active bass.

6. Jebberz

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    I guess it's the other way around, they upgrade the cheap with good components, but without much added cost due to their manufacturing capabilities. And they seem to keep the brands separate, so I don't think the quality would go down for TC, but improve for Behringer. But I may have an optimistic nature...

7. Vomicamonster

Vomicamonster

Feb 6, 2017
    austin,tx
    @Jebberz I'll be optimistic too. I'm always GASing for something old or moddible but TC has always been really dependable for me. I may buckle down and try one out. Hopefully I'll get to open one up and check it out. The Vibrato looks promising.

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    To be more accurate, Music Group, a holding company that is chaired by Uli Behringer owns TC Electronic and TC Helicon. As far as I am aware, TC make their products, Behringer makes theirs.

9. I think that's exactly what happened. Behringer is a huge company that I think invested more lately in TC than in its own brand in terms of pedals and amps (probably due to its own reputation). I have Behringer monitors in my practice room (small ones) and bigger ones in my rehearsal room, so I think not everything they do is crap.

Talking about TC, I think they have some serious and good pedals right now. I only use 5 pedals regularly and 3 are made by TC (Hypergravity, Corona and Tuner)

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Call me old school but I'm not about to replace my 30+ yo original SCF with their newest box. Somehow I feel it wouldn't be such an improvement.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Regardless of whether the TC items are actually made in Behringer City, they are definitely made in mass manufacturing factories in China, where it is extremely cheap to produce electronics at high volume.

Their older classic effects were made in much more costly locations, at smaller scale, possibly with less common components. A specialized IC back then could cost 100 times what a generic chip costs now, there.

12. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    They're definitely benefiting from the acquisition of Midas--their X32 line of digital mixers is a fantastic value for the money.

13. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    The new tc pedals are good..cinders isn’t so great on bass but the force field compressor is decent. I’ve had mine since it was released and I’ve had zero issues.

14. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I always find it hilarious when people accustomed to paying $200 find that $60 is cheap for a new pedal when it's still soooooo much more expensive than the sum of it parts and the manufacturing combined. You're just used to a higher standard of living.

When, you know, the actual cost of parts ends up being less than $5 and the manufacturing cost is less than $5

You're paying $50 to go into marketing and profits. That's how mass produced stuff works. In case of electro harmonix stuff (which is really expensive for mass produced stuff), even if you double the price of parts and manufacturing, you still end up with huuuuuuuuuge profits in the end.

15. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I had no idea about the Behringer connection either.

I own a few TonePrint pedals and have been very impressed by them, for the most part*. I've been tempted by their heads and that new preamp as well, but I'm not sure how I feel about putting more money in Behringer's pockets.

*- The exception, if you care, are any of the patches that attempt to sound like spring reverb. For whatever reason, TC just can't seem to get those right.

16. dnp41

dnp41

May 10, 2016
    Parts are not expensive. Even if you'd buy your own parts for your DIY build, you would probably spend more on the casing than on the components. Saving on main components would be pennies instead of dollars. I think under the control of the Music Group TC was instructed to also bring out some more affordable pedals as they feel they would be able to sell them, like Behringer did before. Most likely some of the old Behringer designs where used to create their TC pedals. Possibly without much mods. Sometimes people listen with their eyses, and see Behringer and instanly dislike a pedal. TC is a well respected pedal manufacturer, and doesn't face the same issue as Behringer. Also it was foolish of Behringer to try plastic casings, but again, that's where you can save some money when you build pedals.

mikewalker likes this.
  17. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well I'm now super nervous about my Polytune.

18. Behringer is hardly alone in the music business in leveraging a name, and pumping the production to the Far East (hell, I remember when Peaveys were built in Mississippi . . . . . ). But does anyone know if all these various trade / tariff situations are going to affect the MI business ? ?

19. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    When you explain it that way it seems sooooo very simple. The part you missed is the astronomical cost associated with creating an infrastructure to "build it for $10".

To pay a low price for parts, you need to buy LOTS of them, regularly.

To pay a low price for manufacturing, you have to CONSTANTLY make LOTS.

To be able to pay people less, you need to hire them for a specific and broadly posessed skill, and have a system that supports success in 98% of their tasks.

Then you need to diversify the companies ability to adapt to any product. Through standadization, design sharing, and reducing change over you can keep cost per product lower.

You also need to make sure that you sell LOTS of everything, so you need to market the crap out of it, so that everyone knows that your product exists, especially so people can pick it apart on a forum.

Then you actually sell it for $25-35 (with a 5-10% profit), someone pays for shipping and further processing at a wharehouse and a store. They each want a cut too, so add another $15-25. That gets to the actual cost, you, the consumer the pays.

I for one am very happy these designs are available at a lower price, withhigher durability, it saves me the time to fit them into homemade enclosures so they don't break. The time to buy and build a slow gear clone or Dimension C clone and cost to buy a few parts completely justifies buying one of these.

20. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    Some of the people I've talked to have written off TC and some of the other brands that Behringer has bought. No one thinks that TC, Midas, Lab Gruppen and others are as good as they were.

The products are being heavily commoditized (cost-reduced) and although they may cost less, they aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be.