Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Why's the double muff so much cheaper?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Really, it is essentially 2 MUff's in one, with slightly less tone shaping options right? So whast the deal, A USA Big Muff is about 80 bucks on ebay where as the double muff is like 45. Seems weird...

The double muff is true bypass.... it's Made in America...... it's metal.... whast the deal?

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    maybe because it's smaller and less tone shaping options? idk i've been wondering about it since i bought it.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Maybe they don't have lazy, overpaid and stoned union workers in their factory who get promoted based on seniority and not on merit.

Just a guess.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    NOES!!!!!11

It's because the Double Muff is 2 Vintage Muffs, not 2 Big Muffs. If I could find a picture, i'd give you one.

5. Nope.

The Big Muff is a fuzz.....the Double Muff is an overdrive/distortion. Even dimed in the Double mode it has nowhere near as much gain as a Big Muff.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    There you go. Along with my definition and this one, the reasoning is all here. :)

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I beg to differ. Every Double Muff I played was more timid in single mode and much more harsh dimed and in double mode.

The Double Muff is two stripped down Muff circuits, and yes, it's a fuzz due to the way it clips, not how much it does. Read the FAQ about that. Other than that, it's cheaper because, yes, it's got less tone shaping control, and yes it's smaller, but you have to realize the Big Muff is the flagship effect. They sell it for the price they do because people will pay it, over and over, like me. It's been their flagship effect for decades, and it's one of the most recognized names on a pedalboard, therefore they CAN sell it for what they want.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You pay for muff over and over? Put a ring on it already dang!

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    :eyebrow: :p :eyebrow: :p :D

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Bleeb me, you NEVER stop paying for it.

11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yer right of course. Clothes... fancy car... jewelry...