wich 6 string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Jan 3, 2005.

1. I am looking to buy a 6 string bass.. But I want to stay on the cheaper side. I have Seen that SPector Legend 6, Peavey Grind 6 and Brice Z 6 are all in the same ball park. Problem is I cant try them out. WHat do you suggest? WHat are pros and cons to each? Thanks in advance for any answers.
  2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I picked up a Brice Z 6 neck-through a little over 3 weeks ago ($329 at Rondo). The need to make some basic changes to the basses have been well documented in various threads on TB (string changes, set-up, etc).

After making these adjustments I am absolutely thrilled with the Brice. IMO, it's easily worth 2 to 3 times the price paid for it. Just be prepared to mess around with it a lot to get it set up the way you want it. If you're not comfortable setting up your own bass you'll need to get it to a tech for set-up.

Gotta figure a tech set-up will run between $35 -$50, plus a new set of strings (I put TI flats on, paid about $60 for the strings), plus getting a case & shipping, you're cruising towards $500 and now the Brice doesn't look quite so cheap.

I'm lucky enough (or maybe unfortunate enough, depending on your point of view) to live in NJ within an hour's drive of Rondo, so I was able to check the bass out. I definitely liked it a lot better than the Peavey, but that's just my opinion.
  3. Well I am close enough I can check out the brice.. unfortanately I cant really compare it to the Peavey or the Spector. I think I may head to Rondo on sat and check them out though.
  4. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I own both the Spector Legend 6 and a Brice V2 6'er. The Spector is WAAAAAY better than the Brice. Just my 2c.
  5. I know this doesn't help with specifics, but check ebay every now and then. Most of the time, the deal won't be that great for a bass but every now and then an overlooked bass becomes available at a great price. This is how I bought my 6-string. I paid $600 for an old custom-made $1500 calibre 6-string custom bass. I'm pretty sure that I was on the recieving end of the best possible scenerio but if you aren't in a hurry, then checking online classifieds is a good idea. Just make sure the seller has good references.

By the way, it is a telecaster "TL-6" neck-thru by Peavey but custom built by Tim Landers.
  6. I was working around this issue for sometime and I end it up with getting a basic 6 that is not too flashy but also not too dim.
    I once bought a Thumb BO 6 and enjoyed the sound so much but then the neck starting to trouble me so I sold it to a guy who think it is OK.
    I was considering of getting a used Toby classic 6 but it was quite a big investment so I tried some others including the Ibanez 3006e and was thinking that this is the right one so I got it and to be frankly, this is enought for one who not playing the 6 for living.
    The strings gap, spacing, is 16.5 mm which is a bit too narrow for slapper but the tone is awsome for slapper. The bottom part of the body is quite sharp so when you have it on your lap for long time, you will not feel OK.
    These 2 issues are the only down side of this bass.
  7. Hi there,

A couple of months ago, I test drove 2 Peavey Cirrus 6-string bass guitars at a music manufacturer's exhibition here in Beijing. These were excellent basses for their price range, and I strongly recommend that you check the Cirrus out for yourself.

Yamaha also do excellent-value 6-stringers these days - their QC has improved significantly over the years.

Just my two cents worth.

Kind regards,
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

It's not a telecaster. The TL-6 refers to the fact that Tim Landers helped design the bass. He did not build it. The TL-5 and TL-6 are great values on the used market. They are the forerunners of the popular Cirrus series.
  9. Embelisher. I have seen in past posts you mentioning you have or have had a SR506. How would you compare that bass to the others metioned? I just found one that I played that I thought was pretty nice but I havent been able to play any of the others yet. I am looking for something that I can get me into a 6 string and be a good backup bass in the future when if I decide to get a High end 6 string. Also I found where I can get a passive Alvarez 6 string for $199 but I cant play it till I would decide I wanted it.
  10. JetJazz

Sep 9, 2004
    Also consider a Dean Edge "six" These are great guitars for the money. My two main basses? A Roscoe and a Dean.

11. I have thought about deans but I hear they lack highs and are a little muddy. I dont know because I cant find anything other then a Ibanez SR506 and The Brice 6 strings that I can try out in person. I am really curious as to how the Ibanez matches up to the Spector now though.
  12. embellisher

The 506 is a good bass for the price. Mine would get more action if I didn't own a Cirrus 6.

I have no experience with the Spector Legend 6 or the Brice.

As for the Grind, they are pretty hit and miss. Some I have played are very nice for the price, and some of them are dogs.
  13. How does the 506 feel in comparison to the Cirrus. I am sure the Cirrus sounds better then the 506. But if the 6 string thing goes well I think I will want to get a second 6 string and I have been kinda gasing for a 5 string cirrus in the past and thought a 6 string cirrus may be the ticket.
  14. By the way I think I can get the SR506 new for under $500 wich I think is a good price
  15. embellisher

The 506 has narrower string spacing than the Cirrus, and a thicker neck profile.
  16. Alright I will have to remeber that... I am going to make sure to try the brice... but I have a feeling I am going to go with the 506. I just wish I could find fore around to try. I went to every music store within an hour and a half of me and foud one ( the SR506 ) and have to drive 2 hours to get to Rondo to try the brice.
  17. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Check this out:
  18. +1. The Japanese-made TRBs in particular are fantastic, I have a TRB6 from the 90s, and it's still my #1.
  19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    How much do those new TRBs go for?
  20. Well I was looking at the Cirrus basses on thier web page. I see that they are 35" scale. So I am thinking I may want to look to get a 35" scale six string to be able to see how I like that. I have seen that Brices cheaper 6 string comes in a 35" scale. Has anyone had any expierience with that? If you did have you ever played a Cirrus 6? If so how was string spacing in comparison? and How was the neck profile in comparison? I have played a Cirrus 5 and have the oppurtunity to do so whenever I want as places keep them in stock. But if I wanted a Cirrus 6 I would have to special order :( so I am hoping to find a cheap bass that has a similiar string spacing and feel to make sure I would want to take the dive into a cirrus 6 and then also have a servicable bass to use as a backup to the Cirrus.