Wich Ampeg head to get ? svt-350 or B-5R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doryan, Sep 11, 2002.

1. SVT - 350

6 vote(s)
  2. B - 5 R

16 vote(s)
  1. I just wanna hear your opinions on these 2 heads.
    I tried the svt in the music store, the B-5R wasn't in at the time.

I'm waiting for that one to try out.
    What are the important differences between these heads ?
  2. BBB

Aug 24, 2002
    I have the classic SVT 350 and I love it. It's the perfect combination with my SVT 410 HLF cab. haven't tried the B-5R but the 350 is nice head ... and I love the classic look!!!
    No tubes but I love the sound and it's probably more reliable ...
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The main differeences is that the SVT-350 is only capable of handling a 4 ohm load & the B-5R can handle a 2 ohm load. Also, the B-5R has an over drive channel & an octave "thing" :p (can't think of a better word). Also, the overdrive channel can be blended with the clean channel. This head is very nice & when I played it, I got ALOT of really great sounds.

The SVT-350 is a GREAT head with out all the bells & wistles.
  4. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I think the B5R is a great amp. Not that the SVT350 is a poor choice though.
  5. hey doryan, are you referring to the SVT-350 classic or the SVT-350H? the 350H is the exact same as the B2-R, but $100 more for a clunky wooden box. i made this mistake once already.. the B5-R is WAY better value than both of these. most places are blowing out the B5 for pretty much the same price as the B2 so it's a good deal. if you were talking about the SVT-350 classic, that's a no-brainer.. all tube vs. solid state? go tube.. :)
  6. BBB

Aug 24, 2002
    uhmz ... SVT-350H Classic Series Heads

... no tubes at all ...
  7. my bad,..for some reason i was confused with the SVT-CL which is all tube.. sorry about that.. don't even go for the SVT-350H. you're seriously spending more on the same thing as the B2. i bought the 350H, read some stuff on here on TB decided to call Ampeg. the customer service rep at St. Louis Music told me that yes, it is the exact same amp as the B2, but you get this "nice head, and you don't have to buy a rack"... ok, $529 vs $649 retail? go figure.. anyway, go for the B5. more options, and it's literally only about $70 more than the B2 at some places right now..
  8. I don't quite know. Possibly the 350 H. I played it in the music store and I don't really remember, if anyone could post a pic so I could tell. :)

I played that one with the same cab BBB has, and it souded great (duh -> Ampeg).

But the B5-R seems to have some nice features and it doesn't cost that much more.
  9. if you only need the features on the 350H, you'd be better offsettling on the B2-R. it's the exact same.. no kidding, it's about 20 lbs lighter and $100 or so cheaper unless you're getting a used one.. if you can see spending $100 on tolex and plywood, go for it.. it cost me $100 and 3 days worth of knowing i just blew cash i didn't have to spend..
  10. I see your confusion gustomatic, you had me going with it. :)

You give me american prices, but over here they are alot more expensive.

SVT-350H € 1100
    B5-R € 1360
  11. maybe i should've noticed.. "belgium" duh.. ;)
  12. Thanks for the comments so far, glutomatic, BBB, blackshole and Nino-Brown.
  13. Get the B 5'r. Oh sorry, that's B-5 R.:D
  14. YOYO

Apr 4, 2002
    i've got a B5r and the "PLus" is that you can combine the clean and the overdrive channel. I've find it new in Paris for 1350 Euro (Normaly around 1700 Euro in France). I think you can find it cheaper (on european websites for example). One thing : Be carrefull to be sure to have the garantie because some guys sold heads illegali imported and if you've got a problem you will find no one to repair it. The ASVT 350H is the same that the B2 but with wood around () so there's no tube inside (like the B5R).
    You can take a look at www.ampeg.com. And don't forget the svp 3 pro : 450 watts, with 3 préamp tubes and 2 driver tubes but with a single channel. Please tell me if i've make a mistake on products (For the english i know). Bye.
  15. BBB

Aug 24, 2002
    aaah, you're from Belgium too ... nice :)
  16. B5R - Ability to get 500w at 2 ohms
    Distortion channel (blendable)
    Octave Divider
    Small and rack mountable

SVT350 - No frills
    a lot heavier
    no tubes but a classic looking case (bad?)

i voted the B5R, but y not consider the B2R as well, its exactly the same as the SVT-350 but looks like the B5R and is cheaper

17. I didn't knew the B-5R had such great features.
    Sounds great, I can't wait till it get's in the music store.

Say BBB, are you from Belgium too ?
  18. BBB

Aug 24, 2002
    yep, the Flemish part Belgium :)

btw, you can't go wrong with ampeg ... but hey, that's my opinion ...
    I know alot of people think of it that way ...
  19. I love my B5R, especially withthe footswitch. don't forget to get it. If I had to choose between my 2 amp heads, I would abandon my GenzBenz GBE250C which has a 12AX7 in it and also sounds great.