Wich bass head amp, 500 watts, friendly priced - warwick, eden, TC...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mister Cbass, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Mister Cbass

Mister Cbass

Jun 30, 2011
    France
    Hello,

I own an old and very cool trace elliot gpx 250.
    I love it.

I'm looking for a second bass ( and double bass ) head amp.
    I don't need a high end amp. I want a back-up head for my Trace elliot and left it at home and use the second amp for little gigs etc
    I want to preserve my old friend.

I'm considering 3 models :
    eden terra nova
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/eden_terra_nova_tn501.htm

TC
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/tc_electronic_bq500_bass_head.htm

Warwick lwa 500
    https://www.thomann.de/fr/warwick_lwa_500_black.htm

They offer similar options, watts power etc...

I notice that the tc is build with a mosfet preamp ? Is it better than the others ?

Thanks for your tips and advises.

Have a nice day.

2. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Bonjour, Monsieur Contrabasse.

Since you mention doublebass, I think that a clear voicing and a flexible EQ would be useful (if you're not using any outboard preamp for the doublebass). On the surface, the EQ of the Eden, with its two semi-parametric mid controls, would appear to be more flexible than the others with their fixed EQ bands. That said, I've not played any of those amps (apart from a very brief encounter with the Warwick in a music store several years ago). I've played an older, class AB Eden WT550 on several occasions -- liked it and think it could work well as a doubling amp -- and one of their earlier class D amps, the WTX500, which I did not like at all -- thought it felt weak and unfocused relative to the WT550 (so did its owner). That was many years ago, though, and I suspect that they've made improvements to their class D amps, since. (I am not being entirely fair to the WTX -- I think the preamp was nice and it was being pushed hard at a gig -- still, it did not manage nearly as well as the WT under similar circumstances.)

If you can find a used Markbass F500 (very compact, with two semi-parametric bands like the Eden) in good condition, you might like it -- it is a bit sterile sounding, in my opinion, but if your cabs are not too hi-fi they can warm the sound up and it can work well. The voicing is pretty even with a flexible EQ, in any case.

If you come across an EQ Doubler in good condition, you might like it -- the EQ isn't as flexible, but there are channels for DB and electric and I like its sound (even like the F500, but more open, more detailed, and more "lively" feeling) for electric and acoustic instruments, both.

Trace Elliiot (Peavey) make a preamp pedal now, I believe, if you're interested in that.

If you have a separate preamp for the DB already -- or if you've just found that you don't need so much EQ control -- you can ignore the semi-parametric EQ thing and just get whichever amp seems like it'll sound best to you.

Sorry I can't be of more direct help, but I imagine that folks with more experience with these amps will be along soon.

Bonne chance!

BrentSimons and Andy V. like this.
  3. Mister Cbass

Mister Cbass

Jun 30, 2011
    France
    Hello Mark,

Thanks for your answer and your kind word in french "Bonjour, Monsieur Contrabasse", In fact my nickname is a play on words with my first name ( Sébastien) --> diminutive ( seb, sebas)--> mister sébas :D
    But i never think about mister cbass ( contrebasse) sounds cool too, I love your idea :thumbsup:

You get the point for the double bass, The parametric eq it's a real advantage.
    I've a external preamp, A fishman b2b, minimalist ( vol, bass, treble ) I use it just to have a correction with the impedance of the piezo pickup.

So the eden would be a better choice.

You get the second point, yes I need something clean, I'm looking for a amp wich will not add more color on the sound.

I will take a look to your suggestion ( preamp, used markbass).

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Andy V. and TN WOODMAN like this.
  4. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Ah, désolé -- j'ai penser que <<Cbass>> certainement signifier un forme diminutif de Contrbasse, mais il semble qu'il marche pour les deux.

Woof -- I had to sweat a bit for that! Apologies for my unidiomatic (and possibly grammatically incorrect and mis-spelled) French.

Your Trace amp has a 10 or 12 band (or something like that) graphic EQ, correct? Do you disengage the "Pre-Shape" when playing with doublebass? (I believe that all the old Trace amps had this and that dis-engaging that filter left you with a more-or-less neutral response.)

For doublebass, I think that the semi-parametric EQ will be more handy than the fixed bands, though it still will not give you the ability to "notch" out a narrow band of frequencies, if you need to do that.

You mention the Fishman pre for impedance matching -- it is good that you have that. Does yours also have a switch or an adjustable screw for a "Sub" filter? (Low-cut/high pass?) Some of the fancier Fishman models have something like that -- which you might find handy -- along with a band or two of semi-parametric EQ. Sometimes a used Fishman Pro/Platinum EQ turns up cheap (Fishman also have new models and there are competitors with similar preamps). Folks on the doublebass side of the forum will know more about this than I do.

You don't mention cabs, but I will assume that you are covered for those.

I'm sure that there are other good candidates for amps available in Europe which I'm forgetting or of which I'm unaware.

Good luck again!

5. Mister Cbass

Mister Cbass

Jun 30, 2011
    France
    Hello Mark,

Ton Français est excellent, meilleur que mon anglais.

My Trace elliot have an eq and it's possible to disengage it. Great amp, But as I said he is quite old, I would like to get an another lightweight amp in back up in case of problem.
    Second thing the TE colors the sound. That's not an issue for the bass, but for double bass I'm looking for something more "clean".

The Fishman preamp is the BII, basic, vol, bass, treble that's all.

I own 2 cabs, genz benz 15', In the future I will go for a cab with smaller speakers, that's will be more appropriate for the double bass ( 2x10, 2x8 for example)

Thanks again for you answer and your help.

Bonne journée / have a nice day.

Sébastien

6. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Bonjour, Sébastien.

Vraiment, tu es plus capable en anglais que je suis en français. It would have taken me an hour to write that whole post in French and I would have needed a nap, afterward, from the effort (not to mention help with significant portions of the vocabulary).

I understand that you want to be kind to Monsieur Trace and that, whatever approach you take, a new, portable/backup head is needed.

The Eden, if it is like the older Edens, will have some baked-in color -- still fairly clear -- I could see it working well with doublebass (contrebasse) -- but not entirely even/flat in its voicing (some low-mid warmth/bump, I think). I don't know about the TC or Warwick.

If you are trying to stay on a budget with the amp, I see three basic approaches you can take:
    • Try to get something relatively neutral-sounding with a capable EQ for doublebass.
    • Go for whatever sounds best, don't worry too much about EQ, and hope it works.
    • Go for whatever sounds best, don't worry too much about EQ, and trade your current Fishman for something with a more capable EQ.
    I don't know how easy they'd be to get in Europe (especially now), but the smaller MAS (Michael Arnopol Soundworks) cabs are very good for doublebass (you can look him up on Facebook or look for threads on the doublebass side of the forum).

Good luck, whatever you do.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022