1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wich Bass Preamp Pedal would you go for?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AREA, Jul 23, 2008.

Wich Bass Preamp Pedal

Poll closed Aug 2, 2008.
  1. Sadowsky Outboard Preamp DI

15.8%
  2. Aguilar Tonehammer

19.7%
  3. Sansamp Bass Driver DI

36.8%
  4. Radial Tonebone Bassbone

10.5%
  5. Xotic Tri-Logic Bass Preamp

5.3%
  6. MXR Bass DI

15.8%
  7. Other - please specify

18.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Title says it all. So I would Like to hear your Opinions please...and also why u would choose this Pedal.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I have several preamps in my signal chain. Voted other because EBS Valve Drive is my fav. Also, MXR M80, and very soon the Xotic BB. Valve Drive is very natural sounding, that's why I like it. Doesn't sound like a "pedal", more like my amp.

3. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Other: Sansamp Paradriver

4. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Title says nothing. What do you need a preamp for? Tone shaping? DI? Drive? Just because you want one?

5. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1, the pedals listed are all excellent and generally well-liked, so the only way to decide between them if you're going to rely on internet opinions is to be very -extremely- specific about what you need the preamp to do.

For example, do you want overdrive, or even higher levels of distortion? Do you need to be able to boost your mids? Are you trying to drive a power amp? Do you believe a preamp pedal will make a 30W practice amp sound huge? Is there something wrong with the tone of your bass that you are trying to fix? What other pedals or preamps have you tried, to compare against? Do you need it to have a DI output? Etc. etc.

Oh and BTW I'm perfectly serious.

Also the Tone Hammer is not available yet, so 99% of posts you see recommending it are from people who have never heard one.

6. loend68

loend68 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses, T.C. Electronics
    Not sure what the OP is looking for, but for me I would like to even out the signal levels in my effects chain when switching between my active Spector NS2 and a US Jazz. The different levels affect the sound of my effects. It would also be used to beef up the sound of the jazz (in the direction of the Spector sound)
    Sorry if I'm hijacking....

7. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I have a Sansamp and recommend it

8. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    You should check out the Radial Tonebone Bassbone, sounds about what you're looking for.

9. Oh, I want and need this Pedal, because we have some Gigs in foreign Countrys in Europe/Africa. We´re playing in Holiday Clubs in Tunisia. You know Club Robinson, Club Med, Club Aldiana and so on...

We can´t take our Equipment with us, except Guitars & Basses. They have a PA, Drums, Keys and everything there and we can use it. But i like to have my good Sound in my Pocket and the Idea is, to plug my Bass into those Preamp Pedal and from there into the Mixing Console.
    That means a DI Out is important. I don´t need some Overdrive Sounds. I like it clean, but I like the Posibillity to use two Basses with different Sounds and because of this, I´ll be honest, the Radial Bassbone is my current Favourite....

10. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    EBS Microbass has similar features too and gets a lot of praise. Dual inputs, fx loop, DI out, speaker sim, etc.

11. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, based on what you're saying now, the Bassbone and the EBS Microbass are your two best options.

12. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I agree with the Tone Bone, however I took a look at your gear list.

Have you considered just using your head and using the XLR out? That's going to be the closest to "your sound". I know it's bigger than a pre-amp pedal, but with a correctly-sized gig bag, you might be able to keep it as a carry-on bag, and leave the cab at home.

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Based on personal experience with the Tech 21 ParaDriver, and the soundclips of the Tech 21 BassDriver and EBS MicroBass II that are around this forum somewhere, I vote for the MicroBass.

14. biggreddbass

biggreddbass

Jun 18, 2008
    I only have one passive bass and since my active basses have the Alleva Coppolo preamp, it seems only natural to use the AC outboard with my other axe. I get just enough boost without coloring/masking the tone of the bass.

15. I voted for the Sansamp, but based on this, the Sansamp is not a really good choice. It has a good overdrive and gives a big gritty sound, so not so clean....

I don't know what to suggest but good luck. :)

16. I've had a couple sansamps.
    Very versatile and a very useful tool for a gigging bass player.
    But in all honesty - I wouldn't use it in the recording studio, as it does tend to scoop the mids a bit, and the colour it puts on the bass (think distortion etc) isn't quite my preferred tone.
    But in a live setting it does great in the mix. I don't gig without it.:smug:

I haven't cast a vote - as I haven't actually tried any of the other pedals listed.

17. So, I just wanna let you know, that I pulled the Trigger on the Radial Engineering Tonebone Bassbone.

Got it today and it seemed to be the right Decision. I like the two Channels and that it doesn´t colour the Sound of your Bass in any Way. I like the Contour Shape Presets on Ch1 and the very effective 3-Way EQ on Ch2
    The Routing Options and Features are awesome.

I´ve seen that most of you voted for the Sansamp, but I would not need overdriven Sounds and the Option to feed two Basses was importand to me.

Anyhow...Thanx for your Opinions.

18. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I have had a couple of sansamp pre's as well (BDDI and the RBI), and I tend to agree with you. They are nice, but they do add a lot of color...I wound up selling them both because I wanted a cleaner preamp tone.

19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

You forgot the EBS MicroBass II, many people's favorite.

20. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I my Bassdriver DI

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021