1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wich bass to choose

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pooly, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Pooly

Pooly

Feb 14, 2006
    London, UK
    I've been playing on a Vantage 725B, 4 strings bass, for several years in covers bands for fun. The bass has a slighly twisted neck (it buzz on the A string between 5th and 7th frette), but I like (and I'm used to it :smug: ) the thin neck and its round shape and the warm tone in the mic (but a bit flat though). There is an easy access to high notes (24 frettes) and awonderful neck.
    I've found a band (we do a mix of rock and metal, playing most of the time in drop-D) and I would like to get a proper gear to gig, but finding the right bass is a nightmare !
    I have no idea what I want ! my budget is around 600£, so I can go for a Fender Jazz bass mexican deluxe (active) 4 or 5 strings, but I don't if it's the right choice quality-wise. I've tried various basses around, but I haven't found the right one yet. Judging the tone of a bass is quiet hard (amps in shop are too different to compare...). And since I can have a 4 or 5 strings for the same price, I don't know which one I should take.
    Any hints or advices ?

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    if you go up high a lot (18th fret or more) then don't get a fender.
    They're 20 frets and the body isn't contoured at that lower horn, so it's big and chunky when you're trying to play there. It's pretty much the only thing I don't like ('feel' wise at least) about my fender Jazz.

There are a lot of options out there at the 600 pound range, I'd suggest that you try to get to a good bass shop somewhere and play everything they've got. See what feels good, and what sounds good to you.
    As far as the problem with weird amps in shops, get a headphone amp and take it with you.
    That way you always have a stable point of reference.

3. Pooly

Pooly

Feb 14, 2006
    London, UK
    Hi,

thanks for the advice, I'll consider the headphone amp, that's a really good idea, at least I'll be able to compare the bass, not the amps !
    I've seen the 20 frettes of the fender, but I barely used the 24 on mine at the moment.
    I'm just a bit woried in staying one hour in a bass shop, trying everything, without buying anything, if I haven't decide...