Wich bass to choose

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pooly, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Pooly

Feb 14, 2006
    London, UK
    I've been playing on a Vantage 725B, 4 strings bass, for several years in covers bands for fun. The bass has a slighly twisted neck (it buzz on the A string between 5th and 7th frette), but I like (and I'm used to it :smug: ) the thin neck and its round shape and the warm tone in the mic (but a bit flat though). There is an easy access to high notes (24 frettes) and awonderful neck.
    I've found a band (we do a mix of rock and metal, playing most of the time in drop-D) and I would like to get a proper gear to gig, but finding the right bass is a nightmare !
    I have no idea what I want ! my budget is around 600£, so I can go for a Fender Jazz bass mexican deluxe (active) 4 or 5 strings, but I don't if it's the right choice quality-wise. I've tried various basses around, but I haven't found the right one yet. Judging the tone of a bass is quiet hard (amps in shop are too different to compare...). And since I can have a 4 or 5 strings for the same price, I don't know which one I should take.
    Any hints or advices ?
  2. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    if you go up high a lot (18th fret or more) then don't get a fender.
    They're 20 frets and the body isn't contoured at that lower horn, so it's big and chunky when you're trying to play there. It's pretty much the only thing I don't like ('feel' wise at least) about my fender Jazz.

There are a lot of options out there at the 600 pound range, I'd suggest that you try to get to a good bass shop somewhere and play everything they've got. See what feels good, and what sounds good to you.
    As far as the problem with weird amps in shops, get a headphone amp and take it with you.
    That way you always have a stable point of reference.
  3. Pooly

Feb 14, 2006
    London, UK

thanks for the advice, I'll consider the headphone amp, that's a really good idea, at least I'll be able to compare the bass, not the amps !
    I've seen the 20 frettes of the fender, but I barely used the 24 on mine at the moment.
    I'm just a bit woried in staying one hour in a bass shop, trying everything, without buying anything, if I haven't decide...