1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wich cabinets best fits for a SWR-SM900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by raulon1972, Apr 29, 2009.

1. First off all sorry about my English.

I'have just purchased a SWR SM-900 with 2 possiblities of amplfication:
    stero (400w + 400w ) or bridged-mono (800W) all of them over 4Ohms.

I'm trying to select the best cabinets, for rock playing with a P-BASS. I've prove AMPEG but I am not very sure about the definition of this cabinets in mid-high and also low frequencies.

Bassed on your experience with this head wich cabinets recomend me?

... another sorry about my english.

Raul.

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    In Spain, I would consider ordering yourself a Barefaced Big One from England. Pretty much the best cabs I've seen or heard of being offered in Europe.

It'd probably be safe to bridge into one, as long as you kept a leash on the volume. One of those can take more actual wattage than your typical 4x10 before damaging stuff.

3. I'd rock an SWR Goliath 6x10 - 6x10 enclosure, 1,200 watts handling, horn tweeter with attenuator, 4 ohms.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    To my ears, SWR stuff always sounds best with SWR cabs.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I would put money down that the barefaced will sound as good and be roughly as loud as an SWR 6x10.

Having spent a good amount of time with a 750x and an SWR 6x10 I can say it's a sweet sounding setup, but the 6x10 is about 50lbs too fat in my opinion. Crazy heavy. It'll also have inferior off-axis mids from 1200-2500hz or so, and not go nearly as low, when compared to a big one.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Picking a cab out for you is a lot like picking out a wife for you. All the suggestions have been good ones so far, but who knows if you'll like them? I'm a big fan of builders like Barefaced, who build cabs according to principles of good audio. But I'm also back using an old Ampeg 810, which is far from flawless audio reproduction. And yet I find it hard to care ;)

7. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I wouldn't be afraid of pushing that SM900 as hard as you need into a Big One. They handle my bridged PLX3002 without any hint of bother.

Alex

8. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for chiming in Alex. Based off of the volume my 3080 (a similar design) I'm estimating that your Big One would be about as loud as a goliath 6x10 - would you say that's pretty accurate?

My 3080 seems to be about comparable to an 8x10 from my comparisons.

9. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yep, I'd say it's a 6x10" competitor but with deeper bottom and less distortion, and because the midrange speaker is crossed over quite low you can push the woofer very hard before the tone becomes obviously dirty.

Your 3080 is quite ridiculous, in a good way! I did wonder about making a 2x15" version with an even louder midrange driver but no rock drummer I've played with can keep up with the Big One at full blast so it seems a bit pointless to chase even higher max SPL...

Alex

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I can't tell you how funny this is considering we were just discussing the necessity of 4-figure wattage, with you coming out in favor of it ;)

11. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yar, I have definitely noticed that there is waaaay more bottom with the KL 3015LFs than with any other cab I've tried.

I don't really think the 3080 is necessary but it is not much harder to move than a 115 would have been, and it doesn't bother me that the midrange/horn are lower sensitivity (I dial them back a little even from where they are). It also looks quite imposing :p To be honest after hearing how loud it gets I'm probably going to go with a 15/6 too, to replace my Schroeder 21012R as backup.

12. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    No, you're still missing my point! It's not that I believe you need a hugely powerful amp to sound good or be loud enough, I just believe that all those that think their amp has tons of headroom are wrong.

But you don't need that headroom to sound good. I noticed the Big One sounding cleaner with my amp bridged rather than driven by one channel but that's because the woofer has massive excursion whilst the midrange driver is very clean and makes amp clipping very obvious. For the vast majority of cabs and situations ~300W is plenty. So there! ;)

Alex

13. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    There's even more bottom with the Big One because of the greater internal volume per woofer. Mmm, deeeeeeep.

Alex

14. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, definitely superior - seems about 1.5-2db louder from 30-50hz if I went up to 8.4cf vs. the 6.4cf I've got. I'm going to try lighter plywood and bigger dimensions for my 15/6 I think, see if I can get up to 4cf or so and see how that works.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    :D OK, OK!!!

16. duff2

duff2 Guest

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm not a big fan of SWR cabinets, but the SM-900 is one of the best amps available IMO. Cabinets that are not scooped out in the lower midrange (250 Hz) work very well with this head without the need for a lot of EQ tweaking. For example, The Eden D410T (discontinued) and D212XLT cabinets work very well with this head. Used D410T cabinets pop up fairly often and they usually sell for a reasonable price. 4 ohm versions of both are available with a power rating of 540W for the D410T and 400W for the D212XLT, so they would also be a good match powerwise if run in stereo mode.

Cheers,
    Duff2

17. Thanks to Everybody . I didn't understand some technical information like this in the post of rpsands "Yep, definitely superior - seems about 1.5-2db louder from 30-50hz if I went up to 8.4cf vs. the 6.4cf I've got. I'm going to try lighter plywood and bigger dimensions for my 15/6 I think, see if I can get up to 4cf or so and see how that works"

I'have been reading carefully barefaced and Alex seems to had make and excelent work, I'm in a deal between Barefaced Big One (and wait the time that was necesary, i had send an e-mail to alex asking about delivery periods) or GAS GAS and buy Schroeder 4X10Light on a second hand in Spain. Probably it could be definitory if I could listen and play with one in Barcelona if someone has one ?

Which diferences are between the Schroeder 410Light and Barefaced "Big One"? Any Help

18. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    My main rig for years was a SM900 + EBS410(4ohm), sounded killer!!

19. Hi bug.

The SM-900 and EBS 4X10 Proline is the gig that sounds in myspace adamdouglasTrio?

20. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Without knowing the exact specs of the Schroeder's drivers it's hard to say but based on my personal ownership of a Schroeder, you will see about the same performance in the low mids (100z) and up to 1500hz or so, and then the Schroeder will have worse off-axis response. Also, the Schroeder should have a pretty big dip in the midrange somewhere (probably around 2000-3000hz).

The big place you'll notice the diff is from 30hz to 80hz (the fundamental and first harmonic of B-E on the 5-string. The big one will be more even and much, much louder at those frequencies.

Another thing is the big one is 15lbs lighter or so.

Bottom line, the big one is going to take more power, be louder through most of the frequency spectrum, and much more even. Flat out a superior cabinet unless you like the face melting sound of a super tweeter and a gigantic lower midrange bump and midrange scoop. Lotsa people like those things, though.

If what you want is for your cab to sound like your bass and your amp and effects, the big one is what you want.