Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wich Drum Machine?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by XtromatriX, Dec 15, 2005.

1. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    For those of you who have experience maybe with each of these machines, wich do you think is best and has the most realistic sounds... The Roland R-8 Or the Alesis SR16? Thanks in advance :)

2. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    I don't know anything about the Roland, but I used the SR16 and found it easy to program, and the sounds were fairly realistic. I recently purchased an Alesis DM5 to replace the SR16 I sold. For 16/18/20 bit samples (think the SR16 is 16bit) they have some fine samples to choose from.

3. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    Thanks... I remember the Roland R-8 drum machine when it came out in the late 80's 1989 I think it was. And It was 16 bit, and sounded really good from what I could see in the store at the time and I also used one that a friend of mine had and I liked it. I decided to order the SR-16 the other day and it came yesterday. I had it out of the box programming my own patterns in no time and the sounds are very good as well I really like it. I was just thinking about the price of the Roland R-8 when it first came out, about $900.00, I also paid a little over $400.00 for Kawai R50e wich was 12 bit I think and was ok but had nothing on the $149.00 Sr-16 in fact the Kawai didn't even have velocity sensitive pads.

4. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    It's really amazing when you look at the original prices of some of the old gear and what it can be had for on ebay now. At some point the old technology gets so good, that the new technology is something human ears can't pick up on anyway.

What I really like about the Alesis product is having the ability to send certain drums out of the aux sends, the snare out of one of the mains, and the kick out of the other. It makes mixing a lot easier when you can bump up or eq just the snare and not the whole drum mix.

Sounds like you are already enjoying the SR16. I got a lot of use out of mine.