wich effects does the soloplaying bassist use ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Doryan, Sep 21, 2002.

1. distortion / overdrive / fuzz

23 vote(s)
  2. equalizer

8 vote(s)
  3. compressor

10 vote(s)
  4. enhancer

2 vote(s)
  5. limiter

2 vote(s)
  6. octaver

7 vote(s)
  7. pitch shifter

9 vote(s)
  8. intelligent pitch shifter (harmonist)

3 vote(s)
  9. wah

16 vote(s)
  10. flanger

8 vote(s)
  11. phaser

12 vote(s)
  12. chorus / vibrato

20 vote(s)
  13. synth effect

7 vote(s)
  14. tremolo

3 vote(s)
  15. ring modulator

1 vote(s)
  16. reversing

3 vote(s)
  17. reverb

8 vote(s)
  18. delay

12 vote(s)
  19. clean boost

5 vote(s)
  20. I use no additional effects when soloing

11 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. heh heh This is a similar thread to the one Sprinkler started a while ago.
    Only now I want to start a discussion on what the soloplaying bassist use.
    I mean everything from just a different eq-setting to guitarist, pianist and string section wannabes. :)

This is not about the effects you use in your back up sound.

You can check the option "I use no additional effects when soloing" even when you checked some effects above, if you sometimes solo on an extra effect and sometimes just use your back up sound.

Now the question properly asked:
    What effect do you use when you play your solo's ?

edit: sorry to put distortion, overdrive and fuzz in the same option

(I don't know if this is discussed before, I didn't find any threads)
  2. i use a Reverse looper, and a intelligent pitch shifter, for harmonies, or for dive bombing...
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think I use my wah more than anything else.
    It's very helpful to control the amount of tension and craziness in the solo.
  4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I play quite a bit COMPLETELY solo (that is to say a 90 min performance with only me and my bass...and of course my looper, but that really is not an effect)....
    of late the only effect I am have been using is my hands, and, I might add, getting phenomenal tones and sounds using finger placement, hand pressure, muting (various techniques) false harmonics,percussive slaps (right and left hand), drum paradiddles, varied right hand techniques etc etc.
    Well...then there is the occasional alligator clip or three applied to the strings........

Really, for the past few months I have been doing solo bass shows "sans effects" (at the very most a dab of reverb to smooth things out), and the results have been great. Not running thru a gaggle of pedals and/or rack units has done wonders for my tone also.

5. Really, cool.
    I am trying to go solo too. I have some songs almost worked out: only bass and vocals.
    So now I'm resorting in effects a little bit, not to heavily, but to have a different tone for a different song. I was thinking of something like the GT-6B, with a lot of presets with some effects sparingly used (if it's possible on that thing: blend 70% clean with 30% effected), and it doesn't have to be necessarry one preset for one song. I mean sometimes I play a particulary song on a different preset than last time.
    I use finger picking technique and two hand tapping to keep the sound versatile, I even wander through different aspects of music theory; mostly always different scales in different keys.
    But now I want something more, the next thing, but very subtile, I don't wanna depend on an effect unit, I might even forget it at home sometime.

But actually the meaning of my thread was what bassist do when they solo in a band.

I like your input too, maxvalentino, and I am interested in your work. What style do you play ? I want to go solo in progressive metal, but that's very hard, cause a single instrument lacks heaviness.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Anything, by that I mean nothing, everything, or somewhere in between. What do you mean by back-up sound? Like 2nd choice sound if the first sound doesn't work out? Like that girl you brought home to mom who couldn't stop swearing? -or the car you got a great deal on that never had heat? -or that package of socks you bought for three bucks only to find your toes busting through in less than a week? :rolleyes: ;)
  7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Thanks for the interest. I am not sure what "style" to pigeon-hole my playing into....as a session/studio player I get to play in many various styles and formats, and I suppose that bleeds over into my solo work. I do use quite a bit of esoteric/world music scales and rhythms combined with a jazz based concept of harmony...and a considerable amount of improvisation.
    There are three tracks from my solo CD, "A Caravan Of Dreams" posted at mp3.com

These, like most of the CD are "composed improvisations". Meaning that while the basic structure is composed, they are one take improvisations in my studio (making judicious use of my loopers), and while there are some effects used (such as on "Djam Karet") most of the sounds are just my hands and my bass....

I think solo bass is "do-able" within the bounds of just about any musical style. Yet, it is important to remember that that most listener's (and even our own) perceptions of a "style" or "genre" are based upon previous listening experiences. Without thundering drums and searing guitars and keyboards, many may not find what you do with the bass "prog-metal". Nevertheless, I urge you to pursue your muse....and in doing so find your own voice on the instrument. In the long run you may discover that all the stylistic names and indentifiers are really created my marketing depts within the industry to fill a niche for "product". Hopefully, what you do will be just music.....albeit your own unique and creative expression of it.
    Best of luck
  8. Thanks for the inspiring words.
    I think the historical works of minstrels are pretty cool, and now I want to be a modern version of them, using a bass.
  9. Nice spirit behind the poll, but as always with multi choice, the software used by TB only tracks one option and those who would multivote would not know where their vote counted. The value to this thread is therefore the posts, as opposed to the poll data.
  10. Where is envelope filter? And no, wah does not count. Maybe, if I use the filter in up mode, but I don't

11. Doesn't that fall under synth effect ?
  12. Synth is usually associated with the combotation of an envelope filter, octaver and fuzz.

Yes, Im a complainer, live with it

13. No problem. I'm a difficult guy myself. :) ;)

I myself don't like those effects like synthesizer and envelope filter, so maybe I discriminate them. :p

no offense
  14. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I use effects sparingly on solos (less than 50% of the time). I have a great time using an envelope filter/synth, chorus, and octave effects pedals - separately or in combination with each other.
  15. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    Thanx for continuing my great ideas, :rolleyes: ,

what I use when I play on the front: first of all a chorus pedal, kicked in at around 120 hz, to get the d and g strings somewhat fatter sounding(i use high effect and depth settings, low rate settings on a boss chorus)

hmmm that's the only one you left out! :mad:

and for one song a while back i used in my amp's effect loop: a digital pitch shifter(octave up) followed by a heavy distortion, and I'd let my amp blend the fx about 40% so I'd get a distorted guitar sound following my playing - this was sketchy though(sucky pitch shifter, sounded like a piano)

16. What do you mean ? Chorus ?
    I didn't left that one out.

17. I like minstrels...

Bravely bold Sir Robin rode forth from Camelot.
    He was not afraid to die, O brave Sir Robin!
    He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways,
    Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Robin!

He was not in the least bit scared to be mashed into a pulp,
    Or to have his eyes gouged out, and his elbows broken;
    To have his kneecaps split, and his body burned away;
    And his limbs all hacked and mangled, brave Sir Robin!

His head smashed in and his heart cut out
    And his liver removed and his bowels unplugged
    And his nostrils raped and his bottom burned off
    And his pen--