Wich extension cab for Gallien-Krueger MB150?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Right now I'm using a home-made 1x12 extension cab with my MB150 but I'm thinking of buying a better one.
    Can you recommend one? I don't want to get the Gallien-Krueger ext. cab, I would rather prefer ported design and also a tweeter.

2. The SWR Bass Monitor is what you need. 12" Bag End speaker and horn with attenuator, plus you can lay it flat on it's side, or use the wedge shape in the normal way. It has a sweet midrange, and handles 250watts at 8 ohms. I run a low B string thru mine. Not expensive, and nice and light. If you want a 15" speaker, try the SWR Basic Black.
  3. BTW, I forgot to say, I used to run a GK150MBE112 with the SWR monitor, and it was a good combination. The only reason I dont still use it, is I've upgraded my power to suit my current project.
  4. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I have the standard version of this amp (no chorus, single channel), and I have had good results with a Hartke XL 4x10 and an SWR Goliath II.

They're both 8 ohm cabs so I ran the internal speaker as well as the cabinet to get the full 150 watts. I

like the sound of this amplifier, but I would like a little more power for louder gigs.

Your choices for extension speakers will be partially dictated by your application, e.g. clubbing, small combo work, etc. I used mine largely for stage volume and ran the house volume through the PA.

Hope this helps,
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks for your input.
    I already thought of the SWR monitor too, but I fear it will be a bit underpowered (seeing only 75W) - however it's good to hear that this setup works.
    What about the SWR Workingman's 1x10T cab? This would be in the same size and power range (a 410 would be too big for my needs, if I need that much power I use my larger rig, currently a 215 powered by a 400W H&K head)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Dave Holland uses one of these with a Hartke 4 X 10.. and if it's good enough for him.....?
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You'll have to look used for them, both of these cabinets have been discontinued by SWR.