wich head? SWR bass 350/EBS HD 350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rich37, Apr 23, 2002.

1. I'm planning to buy one of these 2, can I have some opinions please?

-Wich amp has the highest output volume?
    I heard that some amps like the Ampeg SVT3pro have a low volume, I have to feed power to an Ampeg SVT410HLF cab so this I something I don't need.

-Wich amp of these 2 has the most tube-like sound?

-What is the main difference between these 2 amps?
  2. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The answer to those Q´s are the Ashdown ABM300!:D
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Between these two, there's absolutely no comparison! If you spent so much as 5 minutes with them each (side by side is preferable), you'd come to the same conclusion: EBS all the way around!:D

If I were you, I'd investigate the HD350 very seriously. It's got some incredible features, including modeling, if I'm not mistaken!

I've played it, and it was easily one of the nicest heads I've ever played through, and I've tried SWR and Eden many times;)
  4. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Hey RAM, Why do you like the EBS HD350 better than Eden (say WT-400). Also do you have any thoughts on EA's iAMP350.

I'm trying to decide between:
    Eden WT-400
    iAMP 350
    EBS HD350

The Eden and iAMP are the same price and the EBS is about US$200 more. No EA's or EBS in Australia so I would have to buy it from the US without trying first.
  5. I think based solely on your options, i would go with the EBS head. Also, yes RAM, it does have modeling. You flip a small switch in the back to turn it on on the XLR jack. Also, back there is a switch to power an EBS pedal without batteries.
  6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i dont know about either of them really having a tube sound but for clear tone at the full spectrum the ebs is a much better choice. i play through a swr 350 twice a week at school and its pretty thin.
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I knew about the phantom power. My Fafner has the same capabilities. I just haven't set it up that way. Maybe I'll get around to it someday.
  8. I knew you knew, i just figured i would make it known to the others who didn't know that.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, I think in order to be fair, you really should try them all out before you make a decision. They're all great!

To me, the EBS HD350 reminds me ALOT of my Fafner, except it's got that new cool modeling feature. Because they're similar, tonally, I'll compare the Fafner to the others, since I've played the Fafner more (duh).

Anyway, I thought the Eden was pretty good but lacked a certain grunt that the other two had. The Eden is punchy, but I've heard from many people that they had trouble cutting through with Edens. Others claim the opposite, of course.

On the other end of the spectrum is the EA iAmp. To me, it was crystal clear and pretty punchy. I like the clarity that the notes seemed to have when they rang out. It was super-clean sounding. Almost too clean.

The EBS is somewhere in between. It's got all the character and warmth of Eden, all the clarity and hi-fi quality of the EA, but more punch and headroom than either. The EBS can get more hi-fi than Aguilar (IMO), and, should you want, all the warmth and grit of an overdriven Ampeg or Eden, if you push it. Clean or dirty, EBS is, IMO, the best of both worlds.

Again, I'd suggest you try it out. But, also listen to Marcus Miller's tone. He uses two of 'em;)
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    So, you decided against EBS? I noticed in other threads you were waiting for your Aggie?
  11. Thanks for your replies guys,

Would the EBS 350 be a good amp combining it with the Ampeg SVT410HLF cab??
    It's rated at 500W RMS and has a 1000W program
    I know I'm supposed to get a amp with more watts, but that's too expensive here in Holland.
    I currently have a Hartke HA 5000 with 250W per side, but I don't like the way it sounds.
  12. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    All I can say is that I have the SWR 350 and it works great and also has a built in one tube preamp.
  13. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden

Oh, I didn´t see that. Then you can buy the used Fafner I saw here in Sweden.
    Its in great shape and I guess those guys would ship it to you. I have bought an amp from them in the past via mail and you are able to return it and have your money back if you dont like it.
    The price is 1200 euro but I think you can talk it down a little.

Just a thought.;)
  14. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Do you own that cab? If not, I'd strongly suggest trying out different cabs with that head and your bass. You may like it, but you may not love it as much as a different cab (such as the EBS 4x10).
  15. Yeah, i did in the end, but the EBS gear was definately great.
  16. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think that at this level, it's all a matter of personal preference. At least you gave the EBS a fair shot. I don't think it always does get a fair shot.