wich one is better and why(for metal)?a fender dimension V or B.C.Rich onyx eagle V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nephrog, Jun 2, 2005.

1. nephrog

Jun 2, 2005
    i want to buy a new bass (my current bass is squier m5)
    and i play metal(death-heavy-thrash)
    i don't know wich one is better and why
    can any one help me?
  2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've played one BC Rich, and it shouldn't even have counted as a bass. It was old and worn, so it probably shouldn't speak for their entire production line, but that brand name still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    It leaves a sour name in a lot of mouths (with one notable exception here who I am sure will chime in soon enough).

The fact is that BR Rich has been bought out, traded, sold, abused, stolen and reboughtout so many times that its almost impossible to figure out who was doing what when a given guitar rolled (or fell) off a production line. Different managers had different notions of what consituted quality.

Even though the management has been largely stable the past few years I've still seen no examples of BC Riches that I would rate above decent, and most would be far, far below that. And I've owned several (platinum, NJ and USA series).

However I don't know a thing about the Fender in question, so it could very well be worse.

I'd advise you to play both basses carefully, several times and pick the one you like best. I'd also suggest playing some other basses in the same and higher price ranges. You might find something that is worth saving for, or at least get a better idea of what does and doesn't work for you.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I agree with Tash completely. On whole, BC Rich ain't so hot, while I hear good things about their custom shop, anything less than a USA model will get something that runs the gamut from craptacular to fair-to-middling.

Between the two companies, Fender. Between those particular models? I'd take a venture and say the Dimension V. Fender of late finally got it's stuff together on 5 strings, with the FMT and American Deluxe series (the American Deluxe P 5er is quite nice), while I've never been impressed with any BC Rich 4 or 5 string.

Funny how the BC Rich posts seem to come in rashes. Nothing for a couple months, then a few of them all in a row (two now, I'll bet we see around another three pop up here soon).