1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wich pick do you use?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by therex, Jul 17, 2007.

1. 0,0-50

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. 50-1,00

23 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. 1,00-1,50

21 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. 1,50-2,00

5 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. 2,00-2,50

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. 2,50-3,00

5 vote(s)
    6.2%
  7. i dont use pick

21 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    the question is simple which one you use and if you don't use tell why you don use one

BTW is 0,50 not 50 as in the poll

2. you should make it so you can pick more than one - haha

I use 1 and .8

3. TheBassBetween

TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    Fingers, baby! I don't play styles that require a pick, and I like the sound of fingers. Fatter tone, baby.

4. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Is this in terms of thickness? If so, then I use a 1mm pick. Or at least, I think that's what the Jazz 3's are.

5. Generally its all fingers, and in fact i make fun of poeple who rely on picks but I admit sometimes you need the tone of a pick. I prefer Dunlop 0.6mm the light grey ones haha

6. I prefer fingers over picks but when i do use one i run with Dunlop .88's.Theres nothing like the feel of fingers though.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Stop with the fingers crap. The guy didn't ask that.

Anyway, I think if a person uses anything lighter than a Fender heavy, they're asking for trouble with their hands. A lighter pick makes you work a lot harder to get tone, which puts stress on your hand and wrist, and will eventually cause wear and tear. I don't use a pick all the time, but I occasionally do, and if I pick up a medium, my hand starts hurting within 30 seconds. It took about 20 years for it to start happening, but it did.

8. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    when i use a pick, it's usually a dunlop .88 tortex, or a jazz III (1.38, by the way :)), or a felt pick. but i usually play with fingers. depends what the song calls for!
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

9. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    Actually, he did.

I don't use a pick because I use my fingers.

10. FELT PICK??!?!?! what is this? Im guessing a pick with a velvet cover....but why? where do you get them? what sound does it make (compared to fingers or a standard pick)

11. no, the pick is made of felt... felt can be stiff you know, not that stuff you had with fuzzy-felts when you was a kid...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/dunlop_felt_pick_white.htm?partner_id=59917

don't just assume the only picks out there are those you see on the counter in your guitar store... ;)

12. figuredbass

figuredbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2007
    NYC vicinity
    A Fender medium (approx. .70 mm) to me is the best combination of thickness and attack. Oddly, I find that the thicker the pick (cellulose) the less crisp the attack. A Fender medium works excellently for bass.

13. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    the blue tortex

14. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    I'm suprised at the amount of people using picks that are so thin, when i play guitar (first instrument), when i'm not using finger style is use a 3.00 pick, suprised bass players can get away with using such thin picks....bet a lot of people using picks go through 'em pretty fast.

Can't stand the sound of picked bass personally, and could never ge tit out of my head that it looked like the guitarist was having a go...

15. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    Hey, i use a jazz III as well! I'm not positive, but I think they're 1.38. I alternate between the red nylon and black "stiffo" nylon depending on which tone i'm after. I rarely see bassists using these picks... wonder why?

16. decipher_bass

decipher_bass

May 4, 2004
    I like using the 1.5 Dunlop Gators. They r nice and thick and allow you to get a good grip that wont slip.

17. MammaryVest

MammaryVest

Oct 18, 2006
    Stoneham, MA
    I use Dunlop .88
    and none cares what you think about picks.

18. If I need to use a pick I hold my index finger to my thumb, like I was holding a pick, and use my index finger's nail as my pick.

19. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    i use those 3 mm dunlops
    anything smaller is too floppy
    i need a big pick for BIG tone

20. Mr Matt

Mr Matt Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Washington State
    Dunlop Tortex Jazz H3 Picks for me.
    Lil buggers are hard to come by, but I dig 'em.