Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wich pickups to choose?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gbf, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Hey guys.

i was wondering wich PU's i can put on my jazz bass to get that geddy lee growl? i mean something between the geddy lee and the bass at the "Summer Song" by Joe Satriani you know?
    something with mid growl, a little punch and some velvet lows, almost like a double bass lows without the twang. What you guys recomend?

Thanks and sorry for the bad english:rolleyes: ,
    Gabriel [3h]

2. bpresource

bpresource

Jul 11, 2003
    OHIO
    geddy uses stock pickups and lots of preamp and rack stuff these days. the geddy signature bass uses the original '62 series pickups. if you want more growl without the preamp hassle, try the fender custom shop 60's pickups. they can really bark....

3. Agree the Fender 60” J bass custom shop pickups, sound great.

4. moyo

moyo

Aug 1, 2003
    :rolleyes: there are many brands of PU's but i think and stick to Bartolini since they have the best sound around!, lots of power and a very hig sound quality!

5. bpresource

bpresource

Jul 11, 2003
    OHIO
    barts might be too clean and open for the geddy sound.

6. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    YES, Custom Shop 60's pickups are what you want if not using a preamp. They sizzle and growl.

Music123.com has the best price and cheapest shipping on these. I just bought some myself.

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Agree on Fender CS 60s. I use them with a J-Retro, which is even better as you can add those smooth lows and accentuate the bark and growl that they naturally have.

8. I have tried the Lindy Fralin vintage J PU, but too much mellow tone
    The Fender custom ri 60” is back again