Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wich Pickups would fit?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thunder_Fingers, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    i have decided that i will not buy an new bass but rather update the current i have now to better quality(the bass in its self is good quality but pickups and hardware.. USH..) its an jackson KBX, realy comfortable to play if hanged low, looks stupid and hurts to play if playing high..

anyway, i cant seem to Find Pickups anywher who will suit the pickup holes(the current i have are Duncan Design SB102B and SB102n)the pickups are 8.5 cm long an 3.4 cm wide...

i wanted some bartolinis, but nothing was an size that suits unless i get some body to rout a little more space there...

2. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    No? ill guess not then...

to help you a little more, that would be:
    Length: 3.5 inches
    Width: 1.5 Inch

i have an fear that i would have to route the body for new pickup size...

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    This is a standard EMG soapbar shape, any of the EMG-35 shape pickups will fit. It's a question of what coil config you want.

Bartolini also make soapbars to fit this shape, the M3. Those have a different screw configuration than the EMG (2+1, vs 1+1) - I don't know what your current screw config is on your stock pickups.

Check out http://www.emgpickups.com (the 4 string extended series).
    the Bart catalog is available at http://bartolini.net/pdf/Pickup Drawings_wDims.pdf

4. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Ok, Thanks.. What would sound most like an MM pickup, and what would sound most like an P - Pickup? :p

(im thinkin P at the Neck and MM at the Bridge..)

5. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Did you read the various different coil configurations there? I though the emg site explained them fairly well.
    the 35P4 is a P under the covers. The DC and CS are probably what you'll want for the bridge, the CS are warmer than the DC.

6. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    ok.. i suck at understanding stuff like that :p (im gonna start working at an guitar repair center to learn more about it...)

Basically, what i want is pickups with punch.. and alot of it to.. :D (gonna be played through an Trace Elliot 715 amp..)

ok, the bartolinis then?(i think i will mix them... one emg one bartolini into an Aguilar OPB3 pre amp...)

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You might want to do a search, there's been LOTS of talk about both brands of pickups.

It's hard to make blanket recommendations since there are so many variables: woods, strings, pickups, fingers, pick, amps, eq etc. Most importantly, personal taste. What sounds good in one bass can sound bad in another and vice versa.

However, EMG's generally have a naturally brighter sound than the Barts which generally have a more muted high end. There are brighter wound Barts, usually a special order (which could take some time). I've hated Barts in some basses, loved them in others. The same with EMG's. From what you say, I think you may be looking more at the EMG sound than Barts.

Most EMG's are active, just about every Bart is passive. You won't be able to mix them into an obp-3 without the use of an additional unit.

8. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I have a pair of very warm and bassy sounding Bart 3.5x1.5's in my Dolan shortscale right now. I'm in the process of replacing them with EMG 35DC's in a week or two. If you care to wait, I'd give you a good deal on them (and hope I don't dislike the EMG's after offing the Barts, LOL).

offbase35@hotmail.com