1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wich roundwound strings with the minimum fret noise?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by maturanesa, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Just cant get rid off fret noise when recording.
    The action is low.
    I always use a light touch in the left hand when fretting...
    Im using old rounds, light, 040-120 gauge sunbeams,

and still the pickups sense the contact of the string touching the fret a lot....

is there other than tapes?

thanx!

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Changing hardware doesn't fix sloppy technique.
    Improve your muting.

3. its actually the noise when you press down, muting dont change anything

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Technique will fix that.

MDBass, seang15, physics and 4 others like this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It's muting technique. You're not doing it right.

StayLow and GroovinOnFunk like this.
  6. How you mute the sound of the FRET? You can mute the sound of the string only...

7. Here's MY experience...

I once tried the Sunbeams (45-105) and found them to be wonderfully supple and flexible and easy to fret, thanks to the round core. The only problem was I found them to be almost too easy for my left hand as I started noticing a lot of clacking noise coming from my left hand pressing them down with more force than necessary, while my right hand was also used to something stiffer (ie hex core) and kept "hitting on them" with too much vigor. I really had to adjust my technique to deal with the issue. I eventually did give up on them and went back to using hex-core strings for a bit more stiffness.

When you combine a set of light-gauge (40-120) Sunbeams (ie VERY flexible) with a low action, it's hard to avoid the issue of fret noise regardless of how light your touch may be.

A couple of suggestions...
    • Try a heavier gauge if you like the Sunbeams.
    • Try something a little bit stiffer, ie the Nickel Lo-Riders, in the same gauges (40-120).
    • Try raising the action so more force is required to press down on them when fretting.
    • As already suggested, try fine-tuning your technique, both for fretting AND plucking.

Honch, MDBass, seang15 and 6 others like this.
  8. One more thing I should add...

You didn't mention what type of bass you're using, but what about adjusting the pickup height?

seang15 likes this.
  9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The sound is from the string hitting the fret too hard, not the fret making noise independent of the string.

10. But no matter if the preasure im using is soft, it make a sound anyway...

11. 5 string neck through custom. would check the pup, its a MM with non-exposed poles, but neo mags /iron blades...

12. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    I would raise the action a little, possibly lower the pickup slightly (that sounds like a pretty hot pickup) and work on plucking more at a 90 degree angle to the fretboard. I would also ignore Kim Jong Un, this is not a muting issue, but it is a technique issue.

physics and Billybladez66 like this.
  13. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I'm Kim Jong Il, not Un. Different person entirely.

Calling it muting vs technique is splitting hairs. We're talking about the same thing essentially. The sound is coming from what he's doing with his hands, not from having the wrong string.

14. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    The only way I could make the fret I was playing make a sound, is if I was fretting the note so lightly that it buzzed, or I slapped down with my fretting finger hard enough to make a 'clacking' sound.

Those are both technique issues.

15. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    It is a technique issue.

Upon reflection later in life I've realized I don't actually fully fret the note until nanoseconds before I pluck the string. The immediate vibration quenches any extraneous noise the string hitting the fret might've made before it is noticed.

It really is one of those things that is an almost hidden difference between someone who hasn't spent a lot of time playing and someone who has. All the tiny things your hands and fingers can do to avoid noise that just come with time, learning what makes certain sounds and what doesn't.

Edit: one of my new favorite pieces of advice: The secret to playing the living piss out of a bass and still sounding good is learning how to LOOK like you are playing the living piss out of the bass from the wrists up while NOT playing the living piss out of the bass with the hands.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  16. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    Fret noise is also very high frequency. If you are playing a bass with an active pre-amp, makesure that you don't have the treble boosted like 12db. I agree that through careful technique you canminimize the fretting noise, but if your treble is cranked up like crazy, there is only so much you can do.

It is also a distant possibility that your frets are slightly larger than they need to be, but I would focus on the treble (or presence if you have that) first.

17. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I'm not sure what type of music you're playing but if you listen to isolated bass tracks from nearly every rock n roll song since rounds were invented, they all sound like someone is working on a Buick in the background. I think you may be worried for no reason. In a good mix, you'll never hear it.

18. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Having realistic expectations is an important point.

MDBass and StrangerDanger like this.
  19. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Too low obviously. Raise it up. The best action is a clean action. Lee Sklar also advises this.
    ^^^This^^^ Improve your technique.

Billybladez66 likes this.
  20. fantasticplanet

fantasticplanet

Oct 14, 2013
    seattle
    as little hammer ons as possible, and press down lightly and at the same time you pluck the string

FourBanger likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021