Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wich song you first learned?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by borden, Feb 22, 2006.

1. I am fairly new to bass playing and i was wondering if you, new or experimented, bass players remember the first song you learned/practice.

I have no clue why i think about that but i tought i'd ask.

As for me, first song was PennyWise - Brohymn (i'm just 23 years old so it's in my ageframe) I decided to buy a bass because i needed some time for myself after hard treeplanting days. I learned that song cuz a treeplanter friend of mine died in a car accident 2 months before and i could think about him while playing that simple song.

I'm very curious, share your introduction to bass guitar to us!

2. blitzkrieg bop by the ramones was the first song i ever learned on my friends bass before i got my own.

i learned brohymn as well right when i started out, it was one of the first 10 songs i learned.

3. "The Star Spangled Banner", is the first complete song I learned.

4. speigel

speigel

Aug 5, 2005
    Somerset, UK
    Sunshine of your love by Cream

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    FBI by The Shadows. It was a real toughie, since it's built on the open E note and a hammered 5 fret A note on the E string. It doesn't sound too hard, it's a walkover now, but when I started the moderate a fairly complex rhythm threw me right off!

6. Pickslide

Pickslide

Oct 29, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    It's My Life by The Animals

7. A very simplified version of "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath

8. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Pearl Jam - WMA.

9. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica. Don't ask me why, but I just love that tune. :hyper:

10. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    "Bouree" by Jethro Tull. Solo and bass line. It just sounded cool... still does.

11. "Can't Stand Losing You" by the Police

Most of the early Police stuff is great for starting bassists IMO

12. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    The first song I sat down and learnt was Hotel California by the Eagles (Which was pretty difficult all things considered), but when I first got my bass I really remember playing Anarchy in the UK, simply because that's what my fingers found first.

13. Warwickman0810

Warwickman0810

Mar 29, 2005
    London, UK
    'The trooper' by Iron Maiden - man, i got my fingers badly hurt and blistered by the end of jamming

14. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    "The King Will Come" by Wishbone Ash featuring the very creative Martin Turner on bass. Only the old guys will remember this one (1972)! :)

15. I was about thirteen at the time, and the song was "Mississippi Queen" by Mountain, (nice and easy). Mom and Dad were so proud, they made me give a little "recital" in the living room.:rolleyes: This was around 1975, I've learned a few more tunes since.;)

16. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    Party in Simons pants - Steve Luktather

17. Per

Per

Feb 15, 2006
    sweden
    nothing i´m proud about but the first song i learnd was "come as you are" by "nirvana"

18. LittleJaco

LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    hmmm. I really don't remember. Probably it was By the Way by RHCP. But it was the guitar chord part and my teacher got mad at me.

19. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    That was about the 2nd or 3rd one I learned hehe. How Many More Times by LZ was the first though :)