1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

*** 'Wick!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MooseKnuckle, May 10, 2010.

1. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Guest

Apr 8, 2010
    Ok, so I've come to terms with Warwick doing there "Eastern" lines:scowl:, but why is it that they've limited buying a decent 'wick with some options. To enter their German made series for under $2k, all you can buy is a Corvette $$. If you want a Streamer/Thumb/or other body style, you will end up spending atleast $3-$5k. I bought my German Corvette Std.5 in 2000 for $1200:bassist:. I like the Corvette$$, but why not more body choices around these prices for German quality? And if the Corvette Std 5 now is made in Korea, you seriously think I'm gonna pay $2k for it? Can anyone help me with why they made this decision?:bawl:

2. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    $?

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    A lot of it has to deal with them being shipped over here. Supposedly it`s the same in the UK with MusicMan basses. Your best bet is to buy used. You can get Thumbs and Streamers for around $1,200-1,500 in the classifieds.

4. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Guest

Apr 8, 2010
    Ok, I'm new to this fact. What is the deal with them shipping over here???

5. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    import tax i guess. I live in UK and the cost of the fender and musicman bass is so much more expensive than the US. Vice visa, we can get the warwick abit cheaper than the US.

In term of Corvette is made in korean now it doesn't mean the original made in german corvette crap and any other german series warwick is crap either.

6. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    corvette standard's aren't imported?

They are... Warwick just wants to charge more for shapes other than the corvette. Alembic does the same thing... you want a cheap alembic and it will be an epic (and those cost more than wicks)

7. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    And the rest of Europe for that matter. I bought my StingRay in januari 2008 for 1600 euro's, which then converted to about 2300 dollars. That's insane, right?

+1 on finding used items.

8. MooseKnuckle

MooseKnuckle Guest

Apr 8, 2010
    I never said that. As I stated before, I owned a German-made Corvette, and it rocked. I wish I still had it.:bawl: I was just saying that Warwick has their cheaper line for under $1k, and their typical German line for $3-5k. My complaint is that to own a decent german made 'wick for around $2k, the only options we get are the Corvette $$.:confused: And not only that, if the Corvette Std. is now made in Korea, how is it that they're still charging us $2k for it.:scowl:

9. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Here a Streamer LX4 is around £1200, and a Thumb natural bolt on 4 is around £1300 based on a quick google search. How much less is that than the ones over there? (you will need a currency converter).

As has already been said Musicmans over here are much more than you pay but its only really noticeable if you buy new. You can get used ones for £700-800, which compared to their new price of around £1300 is pretty good. I'm sure the same would be true for you if you were to buy a used Warwick.

I would never buy new unless I was having the bass built, or after an extremely long search had failed.

10. Shmone

Shmone

Feb 16, 2009
    Israel
    Warwick didn't move the production to Korea to lower the price of it, they moved it to korea because it took their men the time it takes to produce a corvette std is the same as a streamer and the profit is significantly lower. makes sense?

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    It seems that the price for used Warwicks in the US are about the price you guys pay for them new....lucky S.O.Bs ;)

12. It is more economical for them to make the basses in China or Korea opposed to the cost of them being made in Germany. People complained about the prices and I'm sure the people at Warwick got the message. Maybe that was their way of resolving the issue. All companies do this to be able to survive in the industry it's not just Warwick.

The basses made in Germany cost more because it costs the company more overhead and so they have to include their overhead into the cost of instrument. Simple economics really. Take into mind that the basses may take several months to build when you take into account of the preparation of the finger boards and the gluing and drying time of several laminates. You are paying for their workers to be able to take the appropriate time to be able to do so. I know I don't want to rush the individuals building my basses. Quality instruments cost money. People don't complain about the price of a Porsche and they shouldn't complain about the price of a Warwick either.

13. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Also you have to consider other supplier that provide them materials may raise the price which means overall the bass will cost more too. Everything in Europe cost more now ............