Wicked Annoying Old-Style Bassman 100 problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Grahamdubya, Aug 12, 2005.

1. My amp has been giving me loads of trouble lately.

Basically, the input jack on my Bassman 100 (it's the older, 15" model) is very flaky. When I plug in the bass, it might make a noise, it might not. I can jiggle it around and it will crackle and pop for a bit, and eventually I'll hit a spot that allows me to hear myself play music. After anywhere from 3-15 minutes, it will crap out again.

I opened it up to take a look at it, but it's firmly affixed to the circuit board and there are no apparent physical problems with it. I'm probably going to just up and replace the jack, but are there any other possible remedies? I've already doused it in contact cleaner, and my hope is starting to wane. Help!
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I would guess that it's a sealed unit and what has happened is that a few too many tugs on the cable from side to side have weakend the contact to the tip of the jack. Your best bet is to replace hte jack and in the future, run your cord under the handle for a little strain relief. I also run a right angle jack on the amp side. When I remove the jack, I do so by grabbing the jack, not the cable.
  3. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

They are sealed and one other thing that happens is that the solder from the jack to the circuit board cracks giving you the results you have experienced. the plastic on the sealed jacks also fails with depressing regularity.
  4. Where might I obtain such a jack? Radio Shack doesn't have it, and I'm not even sure what to search under. I pulled it, and it appears to be a six-pin. Does that make it stereo? Something like, stereo 1/4" amp input jack?
  5. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    First try reflowing the solder on the jack/board lugs. A bit of rosin flux helps.....Anytime you have a connector with direct solder to the board getting stressed, you'll end up with an open solder joint.

That's why the older construction methods are generally longer lasting...it's all connected with a flexible wire instead of a hard circuit card and flimsy trace.

mouser.com will probably have the correct replacement jack if it really does need it. Or your Fender dealer.

BTW...an "older" Fender Bassman 100 would be an all tube amp, with nary a PC board in sight...at least when you're looking at it from my age/perspective.... :eek:
  6. I'm sure you eliminated the possibilty of a bad cable first?
  7. Haha, yes, I have, and I knew the tone knob on my bass was scratchy, so I tried different basses with different cables, and all with the same results.

And Dave, I only refer to it as 'older' because Fender just re-released the 100, with only a 10" speaker as opposed to this one's 15". I played the new one, though, and it's quite solid, and this one is a little too bulky for carrying around to practices, so I'm considering getting it.
  8. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I had the input jack on my BassMan 200 replaced and it went out again maybe 2 months afterwards. It has now been taken apart and is sitting in a corner of my basement.

Good Luck.