"Wide 5" roll call

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've got a bugaboo about string spacing on 5-string basses. My current fivers have nut widths of 1-7/8", and 3/4" (Fender) string spacing at the bridge. As much as I love the tones of fivers made by MusicMan, G&L, Warwick, Ken Smith (etc), I can't get comfortable with 1-3/4" nut width and/or 5/8" bridge spacing. It's only a 1/8" difference, but it's the same 1/8" that keeps A-neckers from playing B-necks (and vice versa) in the 4-string arena.

In order to properly channel my GAS, I'd like to compile a list of 5-string basses wide enough to satisfy my comfort level. I'll start it off:

Fender: Precision 5, Jazz 5, Roscoe Beck 5
    Mike Lull: M5, P5, V5
    Modulus: Q5, G5
    MTD: (USA models)
    Reverend: Brad Houser 5
    Hanewinckel has a "Wide 5" option for his basses

The Lakland 55 is 1-11/16" at nut, which is close.
    I have learned that the Wal 5 is 1-7/8" at nut, but bridge spacing is narrow.
    Of the Alembics I've played, some seem to be wide and others do not.

What other wide 5's need to be included? Boutiques/customs are welcome, but *not* if I'd have to pay an additional arm and leg for a wide 5 option (in addition to of the usual arm and leg charged for such basses). TIA!
  2. Warwick offers a broad neck option in some of their 5 and 6 string models. I've got a thumb bolt on 5 string broad neck and love it. The neck is huge but with a nice strap it doesn't dive at all.
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah, i guess warwicks normal necks are so narrow that when they set out to make a broad neck they wanted to make it a BIG deal.

streamer LX6 broad neck weighs something like 13 lbs. :eek:

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Ken Smith (neck-through)
    Acacia Custom
    R bass

All use the 1 7/8 nut or 2 inch nut. with 2 7/8 or 3 inch 24th frett. Actually R bass is just a hair over 2 and 4, but foder, and BENAVENTE will both do as asked.
  5. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Pedulla has 19mm option on their basses, but I don't think it's too much extra if at all extra
  6. Fuzzbass

Thanks for the tip on Warwick's Wide 5, guys. I'm at the site now... looks like wide 5 is only available on Streamer and Thumb basses? Too bad... I'd love me a wide 5 Corvette FNA.
  7. Fuzzbass

Oh, and thanks for the other refs too. Brian, there's nothing about wide 5 neck-thrus at the Ken Smith site, but I'll check into it.
  8. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Alembic will make the spacing whatever you want it to be. As much as I prefer buying used gear instead of new, being able to set your own specs is probably the biggest reason to buy new. Especially with something like string spacing, which can't easily be changed on most basses.

My guess is that guys like Dave Pushic, Ken Bebensee, Pete Hanewinckel (you've already mention his stuff) and countless others will let you specify spacing.

IIRC, Ken Smith takes credit for introducing wide spaced 5 & 6 string basses to the world. Every Ken Smith 5 I've played EXCEPT the Burner 5 that I owned had wide spacing.

Hope that helps.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    usa curbows come with 20mm string spacing standard...granted, they're a little pricey
  11. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

The Smith Neck-through's come standard wide. Where the bolt-on models are alittle narrower.

Its not a custom order, thats just how they come so it will be under specs, not custom orders or anything.
  12. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Add the Warmoth Gecko five to your list - the numbers are

Nut width of 1.7/8"
    String spacing at the bridge of 3/4"
  13. My FBB 5 has a 1.75" nut but full 3/4" bridge string spacing. I think the neck is constant thickness, because it's 0.90" at the nut and would get way too huge if it got any thicker as the fretboard got wider.

It didn't cost a penny extra, FWIW. Matt will make a neck any size you want it.
  14. tnb

Jan 12, 2002
    New England
  15. mcdonap

Sep 25, 2001
    You can add Tyler to your list. They have 1 7/8" nut width, 3 1/8" width at 24th fret, and ¾" string spacing at bridge.

I know they are a pretty hard to find bass, but I couldn't be happier with mine. I haven't been able to touch another bass since I got mine in December. It completely knocked the GAS out of me!

(you can check them out at www.tylerguitars.com)
  16. Fuzzbass

Cool, more names to check out. Thanks again all.

Misc comments:

The Warmoth Gecko is a beautiful bass. Also, it has a nice long top horn which I consider essential for balance. I really really really dislike neck dive.

Sadowsky: I'm not surprised that Roger maintains standard spacing for the extra string. One of these days I'll own one... maybe I'll get him to build me the first Ultra-Vintage P-bass 5-string. :)

Tyler: Neil Steubenhaus plays 'em too, 'nuff said.
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Atelier Z also has 3/4" bridge string spacing on their 5 's and 6's, although the spacing at the nut is a bit tighter than most 3/4" bs basses.
  18. Yamaha BBN5II, BBG5A, TR5P.
  19. the Ibanez's that use the monorail bridge are spaced 3/4", like the BTB series.

I got Dave Pushic to make me a wide spaced 5, for only $20 more.