Wide Neck Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ancient Mariner, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Ancient Mariner

Ancient Mariner Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2005
    Chandler, AZ
    Seeing as how I'm somewhat limited as to my knowledge of bass manufacturers, I'm wondering if the esteemed gearheads on this site could tell me: which bass builders provide a wide neck 5-string model (like Lakland) as an option? I know custom shops will build you just about anything you want - I'm talking about models that would be available hanging on a music store wall. Also, which of these models are available with a pre-amp bypass?

TIA for the info..
  2. Warwick Thumb 5 wide neck.
    I think someone in the classified section has one for $1200 obo.
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Pedulla Rapture 5'ers have fairly wide necks. I know that Roscoe can make wide necks, too.
  4. Sadowsky's (Metro's and NYC's) have wide (.19) spacing at the bridge (similar to Laklands).
  5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
  6. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    MTD's Heir and Kingston are wide.
  7. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Yamaha BB series (except for the 80's 5000 series) like BB5N, BBG5, BB5GS, BB415, BB615.

I've got the older BB5N with Dimarzio Ultra Jazz PU's, killin tone. Bassically a 24 fret passive jazz config.
  8. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    OOO... I almost forgot one of my favs, the Cort/Elrick Josh Paul sig 5 string. They have the active/passive mode you asked about.

very comfy 1 3/4" nut width and full 3/4" spacing at the bridge. Great basses, kick the crap out all the Fender Active Dlx 5's i've owned (2 MIM, 1 MIA).

The only reason i don't still own one is because I rarely play anymore. So 1 passive 5 (Yamaha)does the trick.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

"Wide five" is usually defined as a total nut width of 1-7/8", with bridge spacing of 3/4" (19mm), string-to-string. Here are a few models that qualify (some already mentioned):

Fender (Roscoe Beck 5, Marcus Miller 5, Precision Deluxe 5, others)
    MTD 535
    Sadowsky (all, I think)
    Benavente (all?)
    Warwicks with broadneck option (20mm bridge spacing on the Streamer Stage I 5)
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Warwick wide necks are 20mm.
    All others are 19mm. I believe.
    You would have to get custom made bass to go over 20mm.
  11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    small sidetrack:
    Does anyone other than Warwick offer a wide spaced 6'er? As original post above, not custom ordered, but standard or as a "regular" option.
  12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

All my Sadowsky's 5's have been wide. In fact, I just had the one I own now reshaped for me. It now has a slimmer profile and the nut is not as wide. It is unbeliveable the job they did for me

13. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    There ya go! And you won't have to take out a 2nd mortgage to get one!

14. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Besides the aforementioned BTB, the upscale Yamaha TRBs also have pretty wide spacing; not sure about the new 1006 though.
  15. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    No, you have to order the "broadneck" version.
  16. Modulus has a wide-neck 5 option on their Quantum five strings. I had an opportunity to spend some time with one and it was wonderful. Highly recommended. :)
  17. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Are you refering to warwicks or another brand? I am assuming 'wicks.

I know that you need to order the broadneck option on warwick streamer lx's (not stage I's) and thumbs. I have a broadneck streamer lx6. I was fishing for other brands that offer wide spacings.

Sorry, just a little confused about what you meant in your post.
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Nah, get it right the first time! Warwick Stage 1!!!!!!!:hyper:
  19. modulus genisis=1 7/8"@nut..3"@ neck\body joint..3/4" string spacing@bridge
  20. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    As mentioned above, Modulus offers a wide neck on their Q5.

It is really their 6 string fretboard with a wide bridge. String spacing is .22m :eek:

Pretty wide, but felt natural too me.

See picture.

Also, the Fender Roscoe Beck has wide string spacing.