1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wide Neck Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aparker82, Feb 22, 2013.

1. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
    Hey everyone, Lord blessed me with a Fender Precision a few months back and after playing on a wide neck like that I don't want a skinny jazz neck again. What all basses have wide necks? I think I recall a stingray having a wide neck as well? Do G & L basses have wide necks too?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.

2. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    My 1983 Fender P has a REALLY wide neck (wider than later models). Look for an E3 serial.

3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    This. For whatever reason, 1983 P-basses have some of the widest necks Fender ever made. I've also played some '57 reissues (I'm sorry, but I can't remember which reissue it was) that had very wide necks.

G&L L2000s have two neck options and one is very wide. G&Ls from the eighties and early nineties had wide necks that were a bit flatter than the current ones.

The Ibanez BTB series has wide necks as well.

I believe that Allparts sells a Fender-liscenced replacement neck in an extra wide width, but I'm not sure if it's available with a finish on it or only unfinished.

I like wide necks, too. My '83 P and my early G&Ls are among my favorites.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hate wide necks. That's why my '61 is for sale

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've considered that myself. As anyone done that? I briefly had a Squier deluxe V but it turned out I'm not a five string kinda guy. I didn't like having an odd number of strings, but I liked the neck a lot.

6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    16.5 spacing at the bridge and a thin nut width for me.

Can deal with some extra meat in the back but like having the strings close together for my fingerpicking style.

Can still slap on it too if I'm feeling obnoxious.

7. wednesdayagain

wednesdayagain

Sep 28, 2012
    MA
    I think g&l has a couple of wide necks.

groovking likes this.
  8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    After years of playing Jazzes, I bought my 1st Ric 4003 last Summer.
    The increased neck width took some getting use to.
    It's a great feeling neck

9. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
    What about Warwicks? I saw a German made corvette standard on craigslist.

10. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Don't get the appeal of wide necks.

RandalPinkFloyd likes this.
  11. aparker82

aparker82

Sep 19, 2012
    Georgia
    For me it's the only neck I can slap, also I don't feel cramped like I do with a jazz neck.

12. I prefer the wider neck of the Precision Bass as well. However, that would by no means prevent me from purchasing a Jazz Bass if funds allowed.

13. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Interesting as I they can't make'em narrow enough for me!

14. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Old G&Ls
    The new tele bass Squire has a 1.7" nut
    Some Ibanez ATKs have pretty wide necks

But most modern-day basses are around 1.65" (Am Std P) or thinner but most basses you'll see on Musicians Friend will have specs listing that will let you know... >1.65 is what I'd consider 'wide.'

PS I am a bear-paw and go for wide meself. A Jazz is like holding a pencil.

Jazzygreg likes this.
  15. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Current G&L L2000 and 62 RI P has a 1.75

16. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    '84 P Elite II - 1 3/4"
    '90 HM - 1 1/2"
    '00 P Special Deluxe - 1 1/2"
    '04 Dimension - 1 9/16"

The Dimension is my go to, but the Elite is my #1. Didn't play the Elite for almost a year, just hung on the wall. When I pulled her down, the neck felt massive. Took a couple of days to re-acclimate. Now, I can jump between basses with no issues.

17. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    And what about it if you try a bass with a thick neck, instead of wide? ;) That can feel good in your hands too.

Perhaps the Fender Steve Harris signature bass guitar is something you like. Or the Sandberg Terrabass (Oliver Riedel). The Terrabass is tuned BEAD though.

18. Its not that difficult, if the scale is the same. For example Squier V has a 34" scale, so its pretty common.

If you're out of big money I always say to buy a cheap MIC, so that even if the experiment fail, you wont lose a good bass. In my country cheapest basses prices starts from about 80$, and used ones can cost even 40$ (c.a.) - a good base for crazy project like first fretless etc.

You sholud be sure if you want to make a project like that:

- be sure you have big amount of time (at least two weeks, if you'd have time weekends only)
    - then be sure you have right tools to work with wood
    - and then be sure you aint too lazy for a work like that

Shopping list:
    - wider pickups, could be 5-string, but with large single pole, f.ex. like this one: http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/18/001/511/638/DV016_Jpg_Large_H70737_R.jpg
    Otherwise some strings may have low signal
    - 5 string neck
    - body that fits the neck scale
    - mentioned bridge: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/...s-b-font-font-b-Bridge-b-font-font-b-Best.jpg
    - material for a new nut, because it would be custom made

And now the "to-do" list:
    First enlarge the neck pocket. You could use the chisel, but you'll have to be very careful. Finishing with sandpaper. Then you'll have to make new holes for the bolts. Screw it properly, because too loosy screwing will kill the sustain.
    Next you'll have to make a new nut, set for 4 strings. You can make it using plastic, but I prefer the bone nut. For exaple a cow bone - when you next time buy a beef from a butcher, buy a big bone. Clean it, boil, clean one more time, and then boil again adding a sodium to a water, so that it would be fat free and white. Then you have to make a right shape using sandpaper. In acoustic guitar the bone nut gave a really big difference to the sounding, so maybe it'll do the same in bass guitar.
    Next enlarge symetrically the pickup holes, so that new pickups will have their places. Again, you can use chisel. Then install the new pickups.
    Next remove the old bridge, and fit the first saddle (maybe not saddle, but I dont know how its named in american, I mean the part of the bridge to hold the string) for the string E, to the place, where the string will lay good on the neck. Remember about the scale rules (nut-12th fret = 12th fret-bridge). Then do the same about the G string. When you are ready with two edge strings, check the distance between them, divide it by 4 (string number), and it'll equal the distance between each saddle. The same rule with making the string channels on the nut. When you install them all, the bass is ready to play. As a cosmethical things, you can remove the 5th tuner, and cut out the head, or fill the hole with a similiar wood circle. The old parts could be then sold out, and you'll gain some extra bucks.

This wall of text may look horryfying, but its rather easy job. Everything is a matter to not to give up quickly, and be patient. If you aint good with the woodworks, maybe you have a friend that is a carpenter, and would help you.
    Personally I made (and still making) some guitar projects, and that surely wont be over, but for now I focused on the studies, and left the workbench. Everything because guitar is a simple construction, and customisation is rather easy stuff.

19. mackythefrog

mackythefrog

Feb 22, 2014
    for me, I have hands that can palm a basketball. i can span over an octave on a piano keyboard, and on a guitar, about 8 frets between pinky and index. I rather prefer the fattest possible neck I can get my hands on.

Resonance129 likes this.