1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

wide screen monitors and windows vista

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Apr 27, 2009.

1. so i got this new computer, cool stuff eh? i dunno really, i wonder if it is this new 19" wide screen lcd monitor or vista's graphics but it all looks weird to me. am used to the old 17" crt monitor and xp :atoz:
    anyone else feel not so comfortable reading on these weird screens?

2. Just a matter of getting used to it.

Such is life.

3. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Maybe you didn't select the right resolution?

It's supposed to look like on the old one, except with more place on the sides.

Not stretched-out. That's bad.

4. i cant say.

so i bought a 500GB HDD but now i only see about 365 when i add up the total space in all the partitons?:confused:
    i think its always a few dozen GBs lesser but 365/500?:eek::eyebrow:

5. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    I went from a 14" (i think...or maybe smaller!) crt to a 22" LCD... give it time

6. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Take the computer back.

7. i think i would tommorow

8. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    ...Is there a backup partition? One that won't allow you to read its capacity?

On the monitor, what resolution is it set at now?

9. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Right click your desktop > Properties > Settings >

Play with the resolution slider until you get the highest resolution that looks right on your screen

*assuming these menus haven't changed from XP to Vista.

10. i am running 1360x768 right now, i'd get a graphics card tomorrow so i'd post back about this again

11. Bocete

Bocete My E string is 36 1/4" long

Sep 30, 2006
    LCD screens have an optimal resolution. Do find out which it is, and use it. It looks blurry otherwise. You can see the optimal resolution for you monitor on manuals or online. If fonts look to small, enlarge them. But that resolution needs to stay put.

With most graphics cards, you can also set them not to stretch the screen on lesser resolutions than the one preferred: instead, only a portion of the actual screen will be used because the picture will remain clear. For example, my 15.4" widescreen optimum resolution is 1280x800. When I play older games that only go up to 1024x768 (not widescreen, right), the game is "centered" on the screen like an inset. The pic is nice, precise, and in right proportion, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

12. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I'm running 1680x1050 on my wide screen 19" LCD. All good here.

13. are TFT monitors really much better than lcd, i read tft monitors have a larger viewing angle and here i am noticing that even if i stand up and look at the screen, it looks different.. as in the whites and dark areas do not look the same

14. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Not TFT (Thin Film Transistor), the difference is between TN (Twisted Nematic) and IPS (In-Plane Switching) designs. IPS designs have larger viewing angles and retain more color accuracy throughout the range.

15. Running 1920x1200 on my 26" :D

16. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    How's that 26" treating you? I'm thinking about upgrading to either 24" or 26". I have a 20" now, so I'm used to the relatively sharp image, and I'm wondering if the pixels start to bother you with a 26"?

17. I got a Samsung T260HD, it's a full HD screen (1080p). It also doubles as a tv. Let me tell you, planet earth the bbc series looks AMAZING!

18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I have an older Gateway desktop at home, and had to change the video card to get a correctly-proportioned resolution with a 19"WS. I've since moved up to a 24", and love it.

19. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I'm more at ease with something like two 17 or 19, than with one 26" monitor. At some point, what you gain in size has to be compensated by placing the screen further in front of you.

20. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    When I was doing a lot of recording at home, nothing beat dual monitors (19" and 17") for running Cubase or ProTools. However, I've been working more with photos recently, and a big monitor rocks for that.