Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wide String Spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El-Gato, Feb 4, 2003.

1. El-Gato

El-Gato

Dec 3, 2002
    I'm thinking about getting a Warwick Thumb or Corvette 5-string, and I'm just wondering if there any really noticeable drawbacks to the wide string spacing option. I have some trouble slapping on 5-strings as fast as 4-strings and think that this would help, but I also would like to know if it would really affect my fingerstyle at all. Thanks a lot for any replies.

2. Are you asking if you should get either bass with wide string spacing rather than thenormal spacing, so that it's easier for you to slap and play?

If that's it, I think yes.. In my case, i had been wanting a 5 stringer for years until I played my BTB405.. Its string spacing is 19 mm or 20 mm, not sure.. But its very confy for me to play, just like a 4 stringer with an added low B. It didn't affect my fingerstyle at all, which playing a narrow spaced 5 string did, after a few hours of playing.