Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wide/Thin/Flat P-bass neck??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ingemar, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I tested a Fender '57 reissue P- bass yesterday and I really liked that neckshape, allthough I disslike maple fretboard.

Does anybody know if there is other Fender P bass modells with similar neckshape ( wide/thin/flat) and rosewood board?

2. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Is there any i-net sites that inculde measurements on different Fender P bass necks?

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I used to have a '62 reissue MIA P bass and that's the way (wide/thin/flat) I would have described the neck shape of that bass. Try one and see if you don't agree.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Typicall Fender neck profiles are identified as either A, B, or C width necks.

What you like is the widest "C" neck profile. so do I.

They're out there in a bunch of different models although the "A" is probably more often associated with Jazz Basses and "B" necks are probably more common in P basses.

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
  6. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The vintage reissue P-basses have the widest necks: 1-3/4" at the nut. Modern P-bass necks are 1-5/8" at the nut.

I believe the vintage reissue fretboards have slightly more curvature than modern P-basses. But back when I was playing fours, I preferred the wider vintage necks.

8. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Does anyone know if there was any Squier MIJ (JV) P- basses
    made with wide (44.5mm) necks?