1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WIDE Vegetarian-Friendly Strap

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Mar 11, 2009.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I've recently made the transition to a vegetarian lifestyle, and want to replace my current strap.

I want something at least 3 inches wide, preferably 4, with absolutely no leather ends. I've Googled the topic, but it doesn't appear that there are any companies out there making a leather-free strap wider than 2 inches.

Anyone know of a custom strap maker I could contact? I need something wide to deal with the weight of my 5-strings and my T-40.

Thanks again!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    There are neoprene straps with wide sections where your shoulder goes. I can't remember who makes them. Googling now.

BTW, want to offload your leather straps?

Found it: http://www.legacystraps.com/ultg.htm They have synthetic ends standard.

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Hemp??

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Still, a lot of times, the strap ends are leather. Not a lot of people use synthetic yet.

5. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I have used "Comfort Strapps" in the past because I like the thick pad they have. I'm going to order one of these Legacy Straps to try out...They are about $15 cheaper than a Comfort Strapp. Thanks for the link!

6. TheEmptyCell

Some folks don't like the bounciness of the neoprene straps with the elastic section. I've always had a nylon or leather strap. I'll check those out, thanks Trevorus. I'll let you know when I get a replacement.

7. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    bounciness??..hmmm, I didn't think about that...I just ordered one of the Legacy's...I'll report back if it bothers me or not...

8. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    OK I received the Legacy strap today, and after trying it out, find that it's not really bouncy at all. The elastic section, is actually "three" 5-inch (approx) sections of very stiff elastic sewn together....

That being said, the foam shoulder rest is thinner and much shorter than the foam padded shoulder rest on the Comfort strapp. I measured the thickness, and the Legacy pad is 1/4 inch thick, and the Comfort Strapp is 7/16 inch thick...so the Comfort Strapp is almost twice as thick...

I haven't gigged with the Legacy yet, but but initial impression is "the Comfort Strapp is more comfortable, with better construction and will provide you better support during long gigs (of 3 or 4 sets etc...)"...

Don't get me wrong...the Legacy Strap is a nice strap for the money!...But in my initial opinion, the Comfort Strapp is better...

If after gigging my perception changes, I'll let you know...

9. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Does giving up leather goods not make you more of a vegan than a vegetarian?

10. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    How strong is that elastic section?

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

I like to ask the girls in the lingerie dept this question frequently. I'm not allowed in Victoria's Secret anymore.

12. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    :D Nice, real classy.

13. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I would say very strong. Again, it's three 5-5 1/2 inch long, 2 inch wide sections of stiff elastic sewn together...It ain't going to break on you...and again, it doesn't feel like it's bouncy at all to me...I have it on a heavy G&L USA L2500 right now...I have't tried it on a light Bass...BUt I don't get the feeling it's really an issue...

14. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    His Avatar is a picture of Ron Jeremy...How much classier can you get???...LOL

15. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    I was waiting on some one else to point out the obvious....
    As for the strap that's good, as I've been looking to get into another EBMM and am in the market for a strap that would distribute the weight evenly. I hear neoprene is good for this.

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I too like my bass strap to be made entirely of vegetarians.

17. TheEmptyCell

I don't mind animal products if the animal is not killed or harmed to produce it.

18. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    ....sorry for the slight derail, but that doesn't leave a lot.

I suppose some organic dairy produce might classify but I can't think of a lot else, even wool has it's issues!

19. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Erm, what does that leave? lol

20. TheEmptyCell

If an animal is dead already... I don't have a problem. But I'm not looking to get into farming cattle for their skin. I understand that dairy comes at a certain cost, but there are a few sources for 'safe' goods.