Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Widespaced 5/6 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Panther, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    After playing a Stingray 5 for a few years, I picked up my old 4 and loved the string spacing on it-especially for slap/pop.

If one were to upgrade the Stingray 5 for a 5 or 6 bass with wider spacing, which basses out there would qualify (roughly in the same price range)?

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Warwick Stage 1 with wide neck 20mm.
    Just played this bass, at GC. this bass played great.
    Fender RB-5 19mm spacing I also dig this bass alot.

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The Yamaha TRB series has 19mm spacing IIRC...

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    used Modulus Genesis
    I think the 55-02?
    a used pedulla N/T (I think the bolt on is slightly slimmer)
    used curbows are affordable these days
    Got an Xotic for 900 which had nice spacing
    Most Warriors

One thing that was cool, I had an MTD Heir that was upgraded. Playability and tone! But.....I had a 535 at the time, so it was kind of pointless..........

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I just bought a Lakland 55-01 and it has the standard 4 string spacing which I believe is 19mm.

6. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Ibanez BTB1005
    MTD Saratoga (or 535, for a little more :) )

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

5 stringers? A used Pedulla Rapture or Thunderbolt with the optional wide spacing will run from $950 - $1250. A new Lakland 55-01 is around $700. A new Lakland 55-02 is around $1150. A used Warwick Streamer Stage I is around $1400. A used Yamaha TRB 5 will run from $850 - $1100, depending on age and features.

When you get into the 6 stringers, there are still a few options, but used examples are hard to come by. If you can find a used Pedulla Thunderbass or Thunderbolt 6, they will range from $1000 - $1500 depending on woods and condition. A used Streamer Stage I would probably be around $1500 - $1700, but would be hard to find. A used Yamaha TRB 6 would range from $850 - $1250, again depending on age and features.

The Yamaha 6 would be pretty easy to find. A used Pedulla with the wide spacing would take a lot of searching and luck. Streamer Stage I sixes are so rare in this country that you might search for months or years before you find a used one.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fivers with wide spacing at bridge:
    Fender, MTD, Sadowsky, Ken Smith, Benavente

Fivers with narrow bridge spacing:
    Music Man, G&L, Lull, Modulus

Obviously not an inclusive list, but I can personally vouch for these!

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I am guessing that a used F Bass is gonna be a bit more than you want to spend, but if not, they have 19mm spacing.

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Stingrays are 17 mm, right? And Roscoes are 18? And F basses are 19? Most of the decent high end basses are probably 19 mm, so my guess is that would provide a substantial enough increase for your fingers to get used to. If you really want to go all out, you can hit the 20 mm spacing like on the Warwick, or I even have a custom Alembic with a 21 mm spacing (which is awesome in the studio but too difficult to handle live). It's mainly a matter of what you like, and what you can handle. I'd recommend taking smallish steps, so if you're used to the 17 but you like the 19 better, you might try an 18 for a year or so, just to get your fingers used to it. Depends on your budget, and if you're doing fretless or fretted, but in general I'd probably be looking at a "migration path", rather than an instantaneous transition. Good luck with your path though - personally I like wide spacing, 'cause I slap a lot and it makes it easier to get "under" the strings. The smallest spacing I own these days is an 18, and I sold my Stingray for exactly that reason, 'cause it was tough to play after a while. Nice sound though. Agressive as all get-out. :)

11. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Warwick wide bolt-ons.

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky. I found Warwick string spacing narrow.

13. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Warwick does or use to make what they (I think) called a "broad neck" which has 20mm spacing at the bridge.

14. Zon 519 and Studio 5 are both 19mm wide.
    http://www.zonguitars.com/zonguitars/sonus519.html
    http://www.zonguitars.com/zonguitars/sonusstudio5.html :hyper:

I, also, could not play on 17mm! I am a heavy slapper. I had the opportunity to purchase a Studio 5 and did. It may be out of your range though (got mine used)
    Also Zon uses graphite necks (they call it phenowood but it's graphite) and you may not like the clean/bell sound of it... especially if you like the sound of a MM.
    Anyway, try them if you can.

My 2cents.
    :)

15. embellisher

Zon doesn't call their necks phenowood, they call them composite. It is the fingerboards that are phenowood, which is wood(usually birch) that has been impregnated with phenolic resin.

16. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    That's kind of the "diamondwood" concept too, right? Birch pressed with phenolic or some kind of resin? Gotta say, that's one of the nicest fretless surfaces I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Beats the heck out of "phenolic". Even sounds good. Dang. That's like "fractal math", people don't understand what it's good for yet. But they will. :D

17. Don't forget Elricks and Dingwalls, both have comfortably wide spacing.

18. embellisher

From what I understand and have researched, Diamondwood, Rockwood and Phenowood are all the same thing. Just different names or brands, I guess.

19. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Is that the same thing they use on a Pedulla buzz-bass, or is that something different?

20. embellisher

Pedulla uses a polyester finish over rosewood or ebony.