Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wierd Al's new album -- good bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BertBert, Jun 21, 2003.

1. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    I took a listen to some of Wierd Al Yankovic's new album Poodle Hat yesterday at Borders. There's a song on there called "I Wanna B UR Lovr" that has a GREAT funky bass line on it. Anybody else check this out? Wierd Al may do "just" parodies but I've always thought the musical quality of his stuff was outstanding.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    His backing band is great; the bassist uses Alembics mostly for recording, if I remember correctly.

3. When I was younger...

"Amish Paradie" Was like my favorite song...

good times:cool:

:oops:

4. It´s nice to know he put something new out.. That man is a genious.. One of my fav. comedians.

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I just listened to some sound samples at Amazon.com. "Couch Poatato" a parody of Eminem's "Lose Yourself" was my favorite. I loved "Lose Youraself' in its original form, but Al makes it really funny. It must have been a challenge to come up with funny things that fit into the ryhthm of that song.

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    All kidding and humor aside, Wierd Al is really quite talented. As mentioned before, his live act is no joke, even though it's intended to be.:)

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, when I was really little, I always thought that Weird Al obtained the rights to vocal-less master tracks, when I read that it was a band.

:eek:
    :eek:

wow!

8. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Al has a great backing band, all very capable musicians. Steve Jay, the bassist, is an exceptional player. Go to his website and check out some of the cats he's played with.

I also happen to know that Steve Jay and drummer Bermuda Schwartz DO NOT get along... they down right dislike each other and have for years. Which is rather amazing really, that the drummer and bass player hate each other but at the same time play so well together.

Go check them out if they are playing near you. They put on a great show.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmm...when I was a kid I just thought it was cool that he added farting noises.

brad cook

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've always found some of his tunes rather entertaining. "dare to be stupid" has to be one of my all time favorite songs, period. It was ont eh Transformers soundtrack no less!:D I do beleive He's playing the Pepsi Center here in Denver this summer, but I really doubt I'll go. I don't go to many mainstream stuff at all. I just can't stomach $30 plus a $10 or whatever convienence or service charge for a show.