Wierd buzzing problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by no_im_adam, Sep 27, 2005.

1. no_im_adam

Jun 5, 2004
    okay, i have a schecter studio 5 that i play through a gallien krueger 1001RB head and an avatar 2x12 cab. the problem is that since i moved into my new dorm my rig has been crackling whenever i turn the treble up on the bass. It only does it when i'm in my dorm room though, last night i was playing through it in the basement and i cranked the treble on the EQ and it sounded fine (no crackling). I'm curious if anybody knows what is causing this and if there is anything that i can do to fix the problem. Thanks in advance.
  2. Perhaps a power conditioner might help?

Have you tried it in other circuits in the room? Though I suspect you only have one circuit.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's my guess.....dorms are notorious for EMI issues
  4. Flourescent lights nearby? They're generally noisy in an RFI sense. Do you get the buzz without anything plugged in? Or just when the bass is plugged in?

Does the buzz change when you move around the room with your bass, twirl around in a circle? Then its being picked up by the bass, and amplified by the amp settings. More shielding, better guitar cable is the first thing to try.

If its there without a bass plugged in, the amp's picking it up.

Power conditioner could help if its just a noisy AC line. Or it may not be well shielded, or its shielded ok for normal envirnment, but your dorm is extremely noisy. Try turning the amp different directions, spots in the room, see if that makes a difference.