Wierd Cases of GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Aug 7, 2005.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Anyone ever just have an odd case of GAS? One in which they find themselves lusting over an instrument that they'd normally dislike?

Lately I've been GAS'ing over Rics, who's body I used to hate, but now adore, and the new white Epi T-bird, which I dislike almost everything about.

Anyone else get these wierd cases of GAS?
  2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    True sometimes you feel an unholy attraction to the wierdest of basses, I have experienced this, I felt really bad GAS for a Basslab for a while and those are spectacularly wierd (but also kinda cool cos they break all the rules) for a while. Atm I have Drodz GAS but that is with good reason, you can't fail to look at the pics and get GAS. Whilst I've never GASsed over the Epi Thunderbird the new one looks damn fine but I'd still rather have the Gibson just for the fact that it looks even better.
  3. SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    This is exactly how I ended up with my T-40 :p

4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I had Bongo GAS for a day.

Then my beer goggles were off. :D :D :D :D

DISCLAIMER: I don't drink.
  5. I normally dont like jazz basses...just the shape is just not my thing. Yet i traded in one of my p basses the other day and ordered a Jaco sig Jazz.
    This is the first non-Ric bass i will have bought in years.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Every time I see a Rickenbacker I get bad GAS. I love the tone! So it needs a little more bottom, but I don't care for ghetto booty anyway!
  7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I get Carvin GAS from time to time even though I hate them with a passion. I got a severe case for the new MM's that will be coming out even though I didn't care for the Sterling I had previously.
  8. I'm very anti-Fender. Just never liked the whole cookie-cutter idea, and the fact that (in MY opinion) people were drawn to them based on the name rather than the instrument.

ANYWHO, recently I've been GASsing BAD for a MIA Fender Jazz 5-string. Not sure why that is, but I've just been more and more drawn to them. I'm sure I'll have one soon enough.

BTW, my opinions are just that: Opinions. I know some people swear by Fender and that's cool too. I just wanted to preface my strange GAS. Let's not turn the thread into a "Flame Eric" thread. All the Fender lovers can flame me via PM!

And as always, just my $.02
  9. $.02 +1! That's what it's all about! I wouldn't worry too much; the fact that you've developed even slight GAS for the "Jazz 5-ver" shows hope! That's what I'm using for my very first 5-string. I'd been GAS-ing for a "5" for years and finally got my wish. :hyper: The others I tried had too wide a neck for me. Those were probably better for Funk, not the Jazz I'm playing. :)

I just got my first fretless, now, and satisfied another "GAS". That was the GAS for the bass I didn't care for, but now that I've gotten one, I LOVE fretless! ;) Such a great sound! (Add the fact that it's Warwick, made the GAS complete!) :bassist:

Play on! :D
  10. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

hahaha I totally thought the exact same thing!!
  11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Yeah, for a Parker Fly bass.
    I dunno why, but I want one for some reason.
  12. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    WIRED , oh , am i in the same thread i thought i was in ?

TB changes your G.A.S

godzirra rykes Rics!
  13. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    I recently was gassing over a Chapman stick bass, though I really can't figure out why.

Oh, and that new Fender 24 thing :)
  14. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I've been gassing for one of these for a while now, with no real idea why. So when I found one in nice condition cheap, and the seller would ship it neck off to save me some pesos, I bought it. Should be here next week.
  15. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Me too, so I bought one...
  16. strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Yes, all the time ;) Washburen B-20's aren't really good for much at all, but still I keep buying them.
  17. ...And thanks to the intelligent enlightenment you've shown, maybe I will too.

18. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    an orange stingray... or sterling... just in orange though. glad i got over it.
  19. Sparkie

Nov 15, 2004
    It doesn't get any weirder than wanting to buy a scooter......what?