wierd decisions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by acexxxoasis, Jun 13, 2005.

1. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    Hey there guys im kind of new here but not also... anyway
    I have a hartke 5000 head and a hartke 2.5XL (2x10w/horn) and a carvin 15" cab anyway I love my setup but its a pain to deal with I have had to replace the 15 twice I need to replace the 10s in the 2.5 for the first time....
    so guitar center will buy my head...
    should I sell my head and save up for a better one (I despise the hartke for lack of headroom) the 250 watt per side sounded appealing and good in the music store... not to my ears in band practice.
    My setup is keeping me from practicing because the sound becomes irritating

Im interested in a nice LOW sound Im considereing selling the 2.5 also and getting a 2x15" of sorts.
    I hate to make it a which head thread but there you go which head?

Im interested in Low round thumpy sounds (not fieldyesque stuff) I was looking into SWR and GK
    I love the sound I get from my hartke with the lows boosted all the way but thats hell on the speakers.
  2. i would say ampeg, for huge low mid growl

3. I too have suffered from the Hartke virus that rapidly poisons bass players around the world with their cheap crap, that just doesnt last.
    I had/have a 210xl in which one of the speakers **** it'self after only 3 months of mid level volume use. Then Hartke distributers in Australia tell me I need a serial number to get it fixxed, adn they may have it for a month or two. The cab brought new had no serial on it, or even mentioned in the manual...

Gallien Kruegers have a reputation for being very powerful heads- you can make them clean as a whistle or thick and warm, and they punch like hell! My GK 400RB III is extremely loud when pushed, and sounds awesome- Thats why I am looknig at getting an 800RB for old school looks, and I know it's 300w@4ohms will be juice enough, and they sound great.

SWR's are said to sound more sterile- I dont know though I have gotten a good sound out of a 550x and an older SM400- you'll really want alot more than the 350x can provide, it just wont give you enough headroom - keep that in mind. The GK will give you more volume and headroom though.

Cabinets- I recommend getting rid of the Carvin and the Hartke- Go AvatarSpeakers.com if you live in a place they are available (Which I dont so I am building my own :p ), I have heard alot of good about these speakers- Ok the horns arent so great but horns are dirt cheap. Great value Personally I'd go a 212", maybe a 210 if you need some more volume.
  4. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    yeah Ive heard the SWR are nasaly compared to others. I plan on keeping the carvin around cause I do like its sound. (when it works)
    the hartke did kill itself pretty quick which makes me mad because it sounded good. alas I want a deeper sound then 2 10s could ever get.
    212s are a possibility maybe but I would prefer 215s just for coolness :p actually for the smooth sound they make and no high pitched squeels.
  5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Have you thought about getting an all tube head? You mentioned you wanted Low, thick, Thumpy and growly...that sounds like tubes to me! The Ampeg SVT-2 or the Mesa 400+ are both really nice heads...expensive, but you won't be lacking power later on. Think about tubes, brutha!!!
  6. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    I thought about tubes yes but I do not nor will I have the money for an all tube bass head for a lonnng time. Im not such a tone freak that I really need tubes. Im fine with a solid state head. I saw a carvin stack
    it looked about what im looking for
    huge headroom,
    simple no biamping,
    2x12 (admitedly not 2x15" but it will just move faster)
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You could look used for a tube amp... If you must buy new I'd recommend Ashdown (EVO series) or Eden. For a cab, Avatar makes the best if you are on a budget. If you can spend a little (a lot) more, check out Eden or Bergantino. Peavey is making some pretty good cabs these days as well. Oh by the way, while Carvin makes some good gear, from personal experience the amps don't sound as loud as they look on paper. That 1900 watts will sound more like a good 1200-1600, which should be plenty of power anyway.
  8. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    I always figure less then whats written anymore thanks to the fartke the amp I bought said 500 then its biamped wierd so its 50/50 so 250W and 250W @ 4 ohms each playing through 8 ohm cabs drops it to about 135W so yeah the fartke made me think about that. so thats why I wanted a Mono high wattage amp .
    and thank you all for the quick replys.
  9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Oh, I almost forgot about the Traynor YBA-200. Its all tube and possibly within your price range, but beware that you will have to get new tubes, as the stock ones aren't too great. I think that the Kustom Groovebass would be decent as well; many people like em.
  10. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    So im trying to sell my old head on the bay or to a forum friend and the cab to GC or something. Ive decided to go with the Carvin cause I like it and its easier on the wallet then the hartke ever was. knowing what I know now I wold of bought a good combo rather then a crappy stack. live and learn I guess.