wierd effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pharcyde, May 30, 2001.

1. I'm just wondering what effects you may use that are really wierd and normally wouldn't be used, like combinations or just some weird ones you've found.
  2. jsdratm

May 9, 2001
    Boulder, CO
  3. Doesn't Mike Gordon from Phish use one of those??? I had to edit this beacuse I visited the site.... I want one too now.... <drool>
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

An octave effect (octave below) with distortion and 220 delay is pretty trippy. Only thing is, the
    bass controls have to be backed off to make the lower strings sound like anything. I also have an E-bow, but that really doesn't sound weird/special.

Those Lovetones that js put up seem to be really nice! As he noted, too bad they are pricey. The Ringstinger (?) and the Doppelganger seem like a lot of fun.
  5. jbass27

May 4, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    If you get a chance check out the Z. Vex Woolly Mammoth distortion. This is about as nasty of a distortion as you can get, and if I recall it does some pretty freaky stuff as you decay and as a bonus, its made for bass, so you get to keep your low end!! For octave stuff try the EBS Octabass. The Mu-Tron III+ is pretty cool too.
    Ballin'bass and chuck norriss like this.
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i know some combos to make things sound crappy. Like combos of 3 or more of chorus, flanger, phase shifter, mutron III, wah, distorion, bass octavio, and i've seen this one effect that adds on a dimminished fifth to any note you play, it will also malfunction if you player multiple notes.
  7. Hey that down an octave delay distortion thing is kinda cool
  8. rickbass

phar - I wouldn't let you down!
  9. thanks, got anymore?
    i have just about every effect that you can think of on my processor
  10. rickbass

Can you play with the parameters of the different elements that go into the final effect?

I have another one that uses about 2/3rds of the OverdriveReverb depth capability, 3/4 Chorus, and 220 or 330 delay that scares small children. It is simply set up with the name, "Freak."

If you can adjust those parameters, you can keep yourself occupied for a long time. Some of your effects elements may sound different from mine. For instance, I've yet to find a true bass fuzz, instead of what sounds like distortion layered on top of a pure bass note as opposed to fuzz that saturates the note, but I haven't tried many at all.

Then there is putting several layers of aluminum foil under your strings and playing with heavy reverb or some delay.
  11. The zoom 506 has a pretty good fuzz. I toyed around with the compressor on my digitech bp8 and somehow got a great fuzz sound from it.
  12. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    A kinda cool thing I made up on my Zoom 56II is I put a fuzz on the defret effect with the phaser cranked, really weird sounding. Generally, you can do some weird stuff with the defret effect.
  13. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Markbass super synth has some interesting things in it and is more malleable than other programmable multi synth
    Driven Crane likes this.
  14. Mosfed

Mosfed Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 21, 2013
    Mont Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Sounds like a problem made for a ring modulator. If you are into demented robot sounds...
    Ballin'bass and bassmusic17 like this.
  15. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
    And we have a new thread necromancy champion! 13 years! Woooooooo
    Adamixoye likes this.
  16. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
  17. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    the boss SYB3
  18. Phatbottom

Jan 22, 2010
    IE Polytrope sounds pretty weird with extreme settings. Actually there are more weird sounds than normal ones now that I'm thinking about it.....
    HolmeBass likes this.
  19. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Weird as it gets :

20. bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I am all about weird. That's why I have a dwarf craft the great Destroyer. MXR Blue Box and a Moog Ring Mod.
    Mastodude and chuck norriss like this.