1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wierd encounter with a guitarist at a jam last night...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Ubersheist, Aug 22, 2012.

1. So, there's a local jam that I've been going to since I moved into town. It's a mixed bag - some great players, some not so great. Last night I got in with a great group of players. One of the guitarists is a great player, although a bit of a prickly person. Last night, I found out how prickly.

He sat in with the guys just before me, and I thought he was a bit loud - I couldn't hear the singer over him, etc. So all I said was "Hey XXXX, I think you might want to turn down a bit." He responded by giving me the finger and saying "You know what? #&% you!"

He then said "The amp's only on 1 and 1/2." After saying that I was sorry if I pissed him off, he just said to the effect of "It's too late now, just play." He turned down really low, but I thought it was a good volume. The other guitarist asked him to turn up a few times, and he acted childish and said "No, Uber thinks I'm turned up to loud."

The funny thing was that I was recording the set with a decent little MP3 recorder. He was still turned up just a tad high after all that.

Either way, just a weird night at the local dive bar. I don't get told to F off but once or twice a decade. As such it rattled me a bit more then I'd expect coming from that lunatic. Thanks for letting me rant...

2. JWP

JWP

Aug 19, 2012
    Clowns abound out there. I would rather play with a decent musician than a really talented flake or someone who takes themselves too serioursly. We have people come in and out of a regular session...really solid musicians...we all get along....but if someone comes into the mix with an inflated ego or an attitude...they never get another invite. Youre good on this one!

3. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    If you only get told to f*%$ off twice a decade, you aren`t trying hard enough ;)

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Open Mic divas... the worst of em all.

5. ma4rk

ma4rk

Jun 28, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    You should have just said sorry - Sorry that this gui**** is a sensitive princess.

6. I must be a violent person because if that
    was me in your situation that guy would have
    a Jazz bass imprint on the side of his skull.

7. I figured he was one of those really talented musicians. Usually when you say that, they understand your intentions and say "Thanks. I'll take it down a bit!"

I know I am in the right. He was too loud. Period. However, it's just a jam night. No one really cares anyway. One of the other guys jamming there said "Consider that your badge of honor. He makes the rounds and does it to everyone." Still, it made both my night and his suck.

I will probably see him tonight at another jam. I really doubt it, but he may appologize and say he was having a bad day. Stranger things have happened before.

8. Mike11121

Mike11121

Sep 17, 2007
    Bali
    The question in my mind is did you say it to him one on one or across the stage within everyone's earshot?

If it was just you and him, then he's simply an a&%hole I'd suggest.

If it was the latter, though, he may have misinterpreted your innocent suggestion as an attempt to make him look bad in front of the rest of the band. I know that wasn't your intention, but some people just overthink things.

In my experience there is definately a talent/quirkyness correlation. The best players I have ever known have all had some fundamental strangeness in their makeup. Usually this wasn't objectionable, but there have been some prickly ones.

9. Tx Basser

Tx Basser

Jul 21, 2012
    Texas
    Live and learn. I have known more than my share of musicians like that. Pickers like that have a reputation that precedes them.

Here's an example from my years of playing:
    I used to work with a fiddle player who thought he was Jesus on the fiddle. The guy used to call out anyone and everyone for every little thing on stage in front of GOD and the world. One night he made the mistake of trying to call me out for playing "lead bass" on a song. After I got thru with him, he never called anyone out again. I ripped into him with a vocal put down that would have made farm animals blush and did it without using profanity. After that, whenever he saw me coming, he went the other way.

Bottom line is this: Musician Bullies need a taste of their own medicine before they will "see the light". Next time the guy gives you the bird or tells you to "F#@$ off", let him have it back verbally in front of the other pickers. They'll respect you for it.

10. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    There are plenty of good people out there and there is no need to put up with divas. Don't let the boneheads get you down.

11. It definitely wasn't within earshot of anyone other then him and maybe the drummer. He was already set up right next to where I was setting up on stage. I just sort of leaned over and said "The guitar was a tad loud, you may want to turn down." I was pretty respectful and know better then to shout it out to him for all to hear.

12. That'll be tough to do. First, I don't think he'd learn. This seems to be his MO.

Also, he's a massive dude at about 6'4 and well, well over 350 pounds. I can't tell if he'd get physical, but I have no desire to find out. I can outrun him, but if he caught me, I'm done. I doubt it'll ever come to that. I just have no desire to deal with people like him at all. I'll be avoiding him and keeping my mouth shut. However, if he says anything or comes at me, I won't back down.

13. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    The guitarist did you a favor by outing himself as a volatile personality with limited interpersonal skills and negligible impulse control.

Now that you know the snake is venomous, you're in a better position to avoid being bitten.

No reason to back down; being venomous, doesn't make him right, it makes him backwards.

14. True enough. I stopped by the jam tonight. He was there. Neither of us appologized, but we agreed to just forget the episode and move on. I just be very wary around him or recommending him to others for gigs. Whoopie.

15. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    This guy sounds like someone I know from your town who plays around there. Would you be willing to PM me his name? It would be pretty funny if we both know the same jackhole...

16. BassDoc51

BassDoc51

Dec 20, 2011
    Fairborn, OH
    I wish you would have reenacted the scene from Animal House where Bluto takes the guitar from the guy sitting on the stairs and smashes it against the wall.

17. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Too funny!

Asking a guitar player to turn down; you should have known better! My amp goes to 11... and nothing lower.

And a prima donna fiddle player?!? Fantastic!

+1

18. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    You had the nerve to say what others were thinking. Conrats to you. What did Bob Marley say? You got to stand up, stand up. Stand up for your rights. I'd like to buy you a beer!!! Great job man.

19. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Agreed. I have to think that any other musicians who were in attendance and witnessed that would have to think (of the guitarist), "W-T-F is this guy's deal?"

Could also go a long way towards explaining why said guitarist is holding court at open jams and not out in a real band playing for money.

20. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Most bullies are cowards at heart & calling them out usually forces them to back off. They can't stand an actual confrontation where they don't have a big advantage.

For those who actually do follow through on their threats & intimidation, there's always a bigger, badder badass out there & they'll eventually find them - the hard way.